"Call for release"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

2ndGenPSA

When headed into a hub airport (in my case, CLT), the controller usually has to "call for release" before we can depart. Who exactly is being called? The TRACON? Is it an actual phone call?

Also, when an airport is released from a ground-stop, who decides the order of arrival traffic? Is there anything a pilot can do to expedite his departure order?

It just seems that the squeaky wheel gets the grease sometimes, so to speak. If I just sat in my plane and waited for ATC to call me with a departure time after a ground-stop, I'd wait all day! Yet, when I call ATC on the radio for information, I get my head bit off!

Thank you!

PS- I have been flying for 15 years. The good folks in ATC have kept me safe for every one of them. Thank you for your hard and sometimes unappreciated work! With the regionals hiring inexperienced pilots, and ATC about to retire a LOT of experience, I hope this trend does not reverse.

When headed into a hub airport (in my case, CLT), the controller usually has to "call for release" before we can depart. Who exactly is being called? The TRACON? Is it an actual phone call?

Usually the call (might be interphone might be landline) is made to the TMU, or Traffic Management Unit of the overlying Tracon or ARTCC. Often this happens when you are departing within 250nm of a flow controlled airport and the intent is to fit you into a gap in the overhead stream of traffic headed for your destination. These a/c may have been part of a formal ground delay program and been subjected to a EDCT.
Also, when an airport is released from a ground-stop, who decides the order of arrival traffic? Is there anything a pilot can do to expedite his departure order?
Normally first taxied first released obviously a/c performance is a factor. Often groups of neighboring a/c are considered as one, so you may be number 1 at EWR but be in flow behind another at JFK and another TEB.

It just seems that the squeaky wheel gets the grease sometimes, so to speak. If I just sat in my plane and waited for ATC to call me with a departure time after a ground-stop, I'd wait all day! Yet, when I call ATC on the radio for information, I get my head bit off!

Try to remember that GC maybe fielding inquiries every few minutes regarding the same flow control issues. Is is part of the job but we are all human in the end.
Thank you!
pm me if you want more info

Latest resources

Back