Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Call approach when flying under the bravo?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jafar

A CFI told me recently that I ought to be calling approach even when not entering class b airspace.

Here's the scenario. I fly out of U42 a lot, and it lies right under SLC class b airspace. U42 is just south of SLC. Many of my flights take me north-west of U42, and I prefer to just stay under the bravo airspace. VFR flights to TVY and ENV mostly. Now the G1000 downloads traffic information from SLC, so I've got that available, but ultimately I'm still a VFR pilot and maintain separation from traffic visually. I know legally I don't have to call SLC if I'm not entering bravo airspace, but is it a good idea nonetheless? What should I say? Tell them where I'm at and what I'm doing and that I intend to stay under b airspace? Then what happens? Do they let me go on my way and only call me if I'm about to merge with other traffic? They have no obligation to provide me with radar services if I'm not in their airspace, right?

If you are flying to another airport, you can call approach and they may give you flight following services if they aren't busy. They'll give you traffic advisories, but it is your responsibility to handle seperation.

Its really up to you.

I don't think it's ever a bad idea to be talking to a controller. In addition to just traffic, controllers may provide up to the minute PIREP data, NOTAMS you may have missed, and in the worst case scenario there is at least someone who knows where you are if everything goes wrong.

This is a common recommendation. The basis is simple. Class B tends to be in highly populated areas. That means lots of airplanes. Lots of VFR airplanes means a higher density of traffic compressed under the Class B shelf than there would be without altitude restrictions. That, in turn, leads folks to suggest that you have the extra set of eyes that flight following provides.

It's not a hard and fast rule.

What should I say?
Same thing you say to any controller on the first call up: Who you are, where you are, and what you want.

Salt Lake Approach. Diamond Star 1234X. 3 east of Municipal 2. 6 thousand five hundred. Request flight following to Bolinder.

That's really all there is to it. Workload permitting, they will give you a squawk code and you are on your way.

Last edited:
Look at it this way:

You're staying underneath the shelf presumably because you don't want to deal with the hassle of talking to approach. You're not the only person to come up with this idea and there's probably numerous other pilots doing the same thing in the same area as you. On any given day you won't see all of them. Throw in some haze and I guaruntee you can't see everyone else. Wouldn't it be nice if the controller (who can see more traffic than your G1000 can) would tell you where you should be looking? If you don't ask for his assistance, he can't give it to you.

Thanks for all the input. It does make sense to get a flight following if it's available. I've gotten in the habit of going under the shelf because several times they've told me not to enter bravo airspace when I requested it. SLC is pretty busy I guess, and I suspect during hectic times they'd rather not have traffic going through it that isn't destined for SLC if at all possible. And yes, there is a lot of GA aircraft doing the same thing, and the extra set of eyes would be quite welcome. I do believe I will start requesting a flight following if available while under the bravo shelf.

I guess ultimately, if I'm not requesting a flight following, and not wishing to enter the airspace, there is no reason to call them. Unless I just want to say "hello" ;)

contact approach and advise them of who you are and where you are going. If anything else, its just an FYI for them and enhances safety.

Isn't that what we all should try to accomplish?

I would call them up. I do the same thing near 06C all the time. They have offered approaches, flying over the field, and various other transitions at ORD.

Risk management.

Jafar said:
SLC is pretty busy I guess, and I suspect during hectic times they'd rather not have traffic going through it that isn't destined for SLC if at all possible. )
I'm not surprised. Look at the chart. SLC's runways run N-S. You are starting due south of the airport, right in the approach path if traffic at SLC is landing to the north. Traffic from the west is probably descending right on top of your route of flight.

Those are the circumstances in which it is rare to get a Class B clearance; even busy Class C airspace will tell you to keep clear.

RockbrigadePC1 said:
I would call them up. I do the same thing near 06C all the time. They have offered approaches, flying over the field, and various other transitions at ORD.

Risk management.

Wow. How often does Chicago Approach give you flight following? They seem to be too busy to deal with VFR traffic. I usually just fly under. Although gotta say, flying 1700 feet (1000 agl) over the Chicago suburbs leaves very few places to land in an emergency.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back