CALEX recall schedule!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captjim

Just got a new voice message from the VP of FLT OPS yesterday. While the message wasen't perfact it's good none the less. Recalls are to start in May with 40, another 40 in June and about 30 a month there after. The projection is to have all furloughed back by the end of the year. I wish you guys could be back before then, but atleast we know it'll be next year.

coex #'s

How many coex'ers are furloughed at present?
Any estimates on what % is expected to accept a recall?

There are about 400 from Express and another 100 or so of former Cal guys who flowed back to express that are on the recall list. Right now they are saying that they expect about 25% of those folks not to accept the recall for whatever reason. How they come up with that number is beyond me.

So, with the rate of the expected recall, they think everyone will be back by about 1/04. We'll see.

That 25% figure is most likely based on past experience. Many of these companies have been doing this for decades and are basing this figure on past experience and other factors like letters of resignation, etc. During recalls, not everyone comes back. Even to the majors. There are many reasons. Got hired by a more stable airline. Got a real job. Family situation. Work situation, etc.

I wonder how many guys are going to turn down a recall to XJT after they accept the offer to fly for Commutair and are staring an upgrade right in the face. What is more attractive, PIC in a BE-1900, or sitting reserve as an FO on an RJ. Will be interesting to see.

Even if XJT pilots wanted to refuse recall to take advantage of the possible upgrade it will not be allowed. Per the understanding reached between ALPA, XJT, and CAL, furloughed Coex pilots taking part in this program shall resign their seniority number upon their recall to Coex.

I guess CAL and XJT don't want to go to all the trouble of keeping the furloughed pilots happy if they aren't going to come back. I think it'd be nice to have the option, although honestly I don't think too many people would forgo recall at XJT even to upgrade with CommutAir. No offense at all to CommutAir. Being an FO on reserve stinks. Being at the bottom of a 2300 pilot list stinks. But the pay, benefits, and growth potential after the first year are arguably better at XJT and, depending on what happens with the current contract negotiations, it could be substantially better even than captain pay.

I think this whole agreement is a good opportunity both for furloughed Coex pilots and for all CommutAir pilots. I haven't heard much from people on the CommutAir side of the fence. How does the average CA pilot feel about this? Hopefully, everyone understands that this isn't the ideal situation, but rather a reasonable compromise.

my buddy at Commutair (i used to be there) said that there is an upgrade class of either 6 or 8 next month and he expects to be in the next one after that. He's goin on 2 years there. (well he was furloughed for 6 months also).
He didn't really know why they are running upgrade classes.. He didn't think anybody has left and they haven't gotten any new planes from what I hear..But he did say going to CLE is a possibility and now they are trying to unionize..

Latest resources

Back