• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL/Majors Interview Dilemma?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, it got you the interview as opposed to no interview at all and a chance to explain yourself in person your side of the situation.

You are coming clean about your situation in person, so that you are not being judged on paper.

Trust me, I used to be in charge of selecting interviewees at an airline and after a while all the resumes look the same and you start weeding them out before you ever put a face to the person.

I had people do this. They got the interview and once they were in front of me they came clean and we hired a few of those guys. One guy had three incidents on his record and he explained himself; we wouldn't of even brought him in if I had known this prior.

Cheers!:pimp:

I hear what you're saying, but CAL asks on their application "Have you ever been discharged for misconduct?"

So how do you answer "resigned" etc when CAL asks a Yes/No and if "No" provide an explanation, if necessary?

Also, what defines "misconduct"? The definition is "improper conduct; wrong behavior" or "an employee's deliberate or wanton disregard of an employer's interests or disregard or violation of the employer's standards or rules that is sufficient to justify a denial of unemployment compensation "

In short, I did not violate any company policy, but instead pissed off someone. Coincidentally, the State Dept. of Labor did not agree with their reason for termination and granted me unemployment benefits despite the company trying to deny it.

So how would you answer this and tackle this issue?

Last edited:
Dilema resolved

"Discharged" = YES, BUT for.....

"Misconduct" = Was it misconduct? If YES well I guess you must put down YES. If NO then it's NO. EASY question.

It's an objective question. What you might consider as misconduct another might not.

I hope this helps a little.

P.S. The fact that the Department of Labor understood your side; Then there is support that an unbiased third party agreed with you, and therefore it was not considered "misconduct." I would take any supporting paper work from the DOL to the interview to support the case in case you are grilled about it. Can't hurt!

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying, but CAL asks on their application "Have you ever been discharged for misconduct?"

So how do you answer "resigned" etc when CAL asks a Yes/No and if "No" provide an explanation, if necessary?

Also, what defines "misconduct"? The definition is "improper conduct; wrong behavior" or "an employee's deliberate or wanton disregard of an employer's interests or disregard or violation of the employer's standards or rules that is sufficient to justify a denial of unemployment compensation "

In short, I did not violate any company policy, but instead pissed off someone. Coincidentally, the State Dept. of Labor did not agree with their reason for termination and granted me unemployment benefits despite the company trying to deny it.

So how would you answer this and tackle this issue?

Sat - I think you're chasing your tail here. Honesty from the beginning is the best policy. You're obviously free to do as you please, but I would strongly advise you against crackhead's advice.

On the app, but exactly what happened in the "remarks" section. If you were terminated, put you were terminated. If you resigned, put resigned. Just be an honest person right away. Getting an interview is much more complex than just that one part of the puzzle. CAL (from my understanding), is looking at your jet PIC time, your app as a whole, and most importantly - your inside contacts who will go to the chief pilot and vouch for your flying capabilities. You have to have all of the pieces of the puzzle to get the interview in the first place.

Always practice honesty and humility up front.

Spin Doctor

You're obviously free to do as you please, but I would strongly advise you against crackhead's advice.

Scrap,

From the information I've gathered regarding sat's situation. The above is what "I" would do. Like you said, "You're obviously free to do as you please," and I don't care either way, but he asked and gave 'em my .02.

I do believe in being honest, but if being honest is going to keep you from getting that interview, try spinning things up a little bit. What do you have to lose?? After all you are being honest to them once you meet them.

Sat, Good luck in whatever you do. I hope you get the interview and I hope they hire you.

Cheers!

'ol Cracky

Latest resources

Back