CAL/Majors Interview Dilemma?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sat74

Got fired a few years ago at a non-union dirtbag airline for refusing a trip and pissing off the DO for mentioning the "U" word (that's it, nothing more to the story...), but have since then been a widebody captain at another non-sked.

Anyways, I was told that my career is basically shot at a major and specifically CAL will never even interview anyone who has been terminated from a previous airline, depsite being well qualified and having several LORs.

I have a hard time believing this is the case as I know many pilots that have been let go at previous airlines from everything from failed checkrides to harrassing the wrong flight attendant!

Is this true and if so, any suggestions?

Everyone at CAL has a spotless background of absolute perfection, so it makes sense they would say this! If this is true, then why would you want to work for a company like that anyways?

In the past

Got fired a few years ago at a non-union dirtbag airline for refusing a trip and pissing off the DO for mentioning the "U" word (that's it, nothing more to the story...), but have since then been a widebody captain at another non-sked.

Anyways, I was told that my career is basically shot at a major and specifically CAL will never even interview anyone who has been terminated from a previous airline, depsite being well qualified and having several LORs.

I have a hard time believing this is the case as I know many pilots that have been let go at previous airlines from everything from failed checkrides to harrassing the wrong flight attendant!

Is this true and if so, any suggestions?

Don't worry about it sat74,

I'm in the same boat. I too have a "not so" spotless record from one of my former employers. I will cross that bridge when I get the chance to explain myself at the interview. If it never happens, oh well, it's their lose for not even hearing me out. :cool:

Some C.P.s just love to give it to you when it comes to filling out that PRIA form.

Don't worry about it sat74,

I'm in the same boat. I too have a "not so" spotless record from one of my former employers. I will cross that bridge when I get the chance to explain myself at the interview. If it never happens, oh well, it's their lose for not even hearing me out. :cool:

Some C.P.s just love to give it to you when it comes to filling out that PRIA form.

If you get the interview, they'll probably just ask you why you got fired. If it's legitmate and you weren't in the wrong, you should have no problem. If you screwed up something or compromised safety, you probably won't get the job. I'm thinking it's probably simple common sense.

Thanks for the info everyone, but the problem I see is that this person said CAL would never even interview someone who was terminated from a previous airline, regardless of the reason. Therefore, one would never even get the chance to explain the situation (mine had nothing to do with safety or flying...). Seems rather ridiculous to me, but who knows these days.

So, is this the policy of CAL and other major airlines?

Book

Thanks for the info everyone, but the problem I see is that this person said CAL would never even interview someone who was terminated from a previous airline, regardless of the reason. Therefore, one would never even get the chance to explain the situation (mine had nothing to do with safety or flying...). Seems rather ridiculous to me, but who knows these days.

So, is this the policy of CAL and other major airlines?

Don't say you were terminatedon on your app. Just say "resigned," get the interview, then explain the situation in person when asked......

Problem solved!

I personally hate the fact that people judge others before they know the full story. Like the old saying goes, "Don't judge a book by it's cover."

YOU HEAR THAT CAL INTERVIEW BOARD!!!;)

CH

uh yeah.....great idea...( pause ) ...NOT!

Last edited:
uh yeah.....great idea...( pause ) ...NOT!

Hey, it got you the interview as opposed to no interview at all and a chance to explain yourself in person your side of the situation.

You are coming clean about your situation in person, so that you are not being judged on paper.

Trust me, I used to be in charge of selecting interviewees at an airline and after a while all the resumes look the same and you start weeding them out before you ever put a face to the person.

I had people do this. They got the interview and once they were in front of me they came clean and we hired a few of those guys. One guy had three incidents on his record and he explained himself; we wouldn't of even brought him in if I had known this prior.

Cheers!:pimp:

Latest resources

Back