Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hobo-pilot

Poser
Got a buddy who's an NFO type. He's interested in SELRES opportunities and was asking me if the C130T's have a navigator spot anymore. I was wondering if any of our C130T brothers out there can answer this.

The T is the Navy model built in the late 80's with tanker plumbing, but only used for cargo so far. It's somewhere between the H2 and H3 models in terms of avionics.

Even with the vintage mid 80's avionics navs aren't required. The only SELRES NFO flying jobs at KADW are at the EA-6B squadron, if your buddy wants the number there PM me and I'll track it down for him.

I was with a reserve USMC squadron (VMGR-452) out of SWF that got some of the first T-models (for the USMC at least) and had a couple of the stretch T's, too. There was a Nav station on all of them, but that was back in 1990's. As far as I know they have them still with the exception of the J-model.

I know th USMC Nav school in SAT graduated it's last class last year and are no longer training new Nav's.

The "T" model does not and never had nav's in the navy reserves... the last herc's that used navs in the navy were the LC-130s that flew w/ VXE-6 out of pt mugu down to antarctica... they decom'd in 99 and vr-55 (a reserve T model squadron) moved into vxe's old hangar at pt mugu.... now there are 5 navy T reserve squadrons.... pt mugu (vr-55), new orleans (vr-54), andrews (vr-53), willow grove (vr-64) and brunswick (vr-62). No openings for navs....not in the Ruac....but a nav could possible fill a MMCO (maint ground pounder role) and still get limited flight time....but not required flight time.... if you were a nav and still wanted to be a selres and be in a squadron in vr this would be your best bet.... i think any vr squadron (C-40/C9/C20/C130) would take you into the MMCO role if it was open and for a weekend warrior job it's about the best going..... not as many drills available as the flying types but still in a wardroom and overseas dets to atsugi/sigonella/bahrain..... good time, i've heard.....

later.......

Ausnav8r said:
Sarka,

I was a NAV with the Yankees from 97-99. When were you there?

I was there (VMGR-452 in SWF) '90-92 then went to El Toro (before they closed it). Got out at the end of '94.

Yankee

I was an Engineer with 452 from 91-94..Finished up with the Blues. Flying night freight single pilot now

Rick

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back