Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

learflyer

Time to drill Congress!
My friends father in law is taking an introductory flight soon. If he chooses to continue, would him having bypass surgery disqualify him for a third class med to get his private?

My friends father in law is taking an introductory flight soon. If he chooses to continue, would him having bypass surgery disqualify him for a third class med to get his private?

It is possible - but extensive evaluation is required. AOPA is an excellent resource.

Not the same thing but I once knew a guy who flew with a first class who found out he had a heart murmur. After an operation to correct it, he waited 6 months and then saw a cardiologist who administered a stress test. He completed the exam successfully and got his first class back. To be honest, I don't know if this was some form of neopotism on the Dr.'s part, but I was surprised to hear he got his 1st class back after open heart surgery.

Not the same thing but I once knew a guy who flew with a first class who found out he had a heart murmur. After an operation to correct it, he waited 6 months and then saw a cardiologist who administered a stress test. He completed the exam successfully and got his first class back. To be honest, I don't know if this was some form of neopotism on the Dr.'s part, but I was surprised to hear he got his 1st class back after open heart surgery.

This isn't that unusual.
Lets hope it isn't.
Pilots have all types of surgery and regain their medicals.

My AME has his 3rd class medical, and had a 4 way bypass. The Doc is prob near age 80, owns two planes. He has to do an annual Thalium (Nuke) stress test to maintain his 3rd class medical.
First hand knowledge from what he has told me a few x.

Latest resources

Back