Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mpflies2

That Guy
Wondering if you guys could help me determine which of the TX flight schools have fairly large student bases that pay a reasonable amount.

The search for a CFI position begins...

Marc

Where in TX? Its a pretty big state.....In DFW: skymates, Monarch Air, Mesquite Aviation was hiring a few weeks ago. There are plenty of schools that stay busy in the Houston area. And what is your definition of "reasonable amount"? Low time CFIs with little or no instruction given usually don't get paid a reasonable amount....

TSTC Waco is where i went and worked and i had about 12-14 full time students. Its a flight college so the students are there to learn to fly its not like an FBO. They are graded accordingly so you dont have to really worry to much about them not wanting to fly alot. Also Central Texas College is in Killeen and they have a flight school. Good luck

cybourg10 said:
Where in TX? Its a pretty big state.....In DFW: skymates, Monarch Air, Mesquite Aviation was hiring a few weeks ago. There are plenty of schools that stay busy in the Houston area. And what is your definition of "reasonable amount"? Low time CFIs with little or no instruction given usually don't get paid a reasonable amount....

Pretty much anywhere in TX...i'm flexible....just seems to be a nice state, and something different than what I'm used to....I have no ties, so I can pretty much go anywhere I get a job, but have been interested in moving to TX for awhile.

True on the money...reasonable is 14 or 15, but if your not flying much each week, then even 14 or 15 won't do me anygood....just need a good student base and a relatively constant flow of students

Marc

Again...narrowing your search to a certain area and not just the entire state might help but from what it sounds like anything in TX will work so if I were you I would print out a bunch of resumes and take a road trip to DFW, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio (i hate those F*CKING SPURS) stopping at every flight school in the area. You'll get to see the flight school in person and have a better idea of which place best suits you. $15 an hour seems to be the average from my experience, but don't expect 10 students right away, it takes time to build a large student base so make sure you have some $ saved up for the first couple months to help with rent. Do you have your CFII and/or MEI?

Pilots Choice in Georgetown, Tx. It's just north of Austin and they have a couple of Duchess's.

cybourg10 said:
Again...narrowing your search to a certain area and not just the entire state might help but from what it sounds like anything in TX will work so if I were you I would print out a bunch of resumes and take a road trip to DFW, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio (i hate those F*CKING SPURS) stopping at every flight school in the area. You'll get to see the flight school in person and have a better idea of which place best suits you. $15 an hour seems to be the average from my experience, but don't expect 10 students right away, it takes time to build a large student base so make sure you have some $ saved up for the first couple months to help with rent. Do you have your CFII and/or MEI?

I need to go on a road trip.....just a little bogged down at the moment, but I did email resume's to Monarch, US flight academy, Wright Flyers, and Auburn U. in alabama yesterday. Monarch seems to be what I'm leaning toward. Will be giving follow up calls maybe tuesday. Any one of monarchs 3 locations better than the other? Just got my CFI 2 days ago so nope no CFII or MEI yet. I plan on getting both with whoever I work for. I am however going ahead and doing the 141 ground school for CFII next week so I can have the written out of the way.

MTPilot...will check into georgetown tx. Thanks..keep the replies coming on the quality of these schools.

Marc

Latest resources

Back