• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best modern trainer?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We've got several Cessna singles (150, 172R, 182RG), and several Diamonds (20, 40, 42). The Diamonds attract a LOT more customers, hands down. They are a lot more fun to fly, too. Acquisition (and therefore, insurance) costs aside, I'd take a Diamond every time (with the possible exception of the well-equipped 182RG). They have similar DOCs and people are willing to pay a bunch more for the "fighter pilot" feeling.

BTW, A 150 is definitely no easier to get into than a DA20, and the TwinStar thing varies among FSDOs.

BTW, A 150 is definitely no easier to get into than a DA20, and the TwinStar thing varies among FSDOs.

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? I am hearing conflicting stories about twinstar; like faa doesn't/didn't approve them for commercial training, etc.

From what I'm seeing, "the FAA" matters not. What seems to be important is the local F"S"DO's interpretation of the regs. There's only a few of these things in the country, so there are only a few FSDOs having to deal with it. Apparently, one office down in Florida says since the pilot can't control RPM directly, it's not a controllable pitch prop. Ours says that feathering the prop is all the control you really need. Bada bing - we call 'em complex airplanes 'round these parts. YMMV.

EDIT - for those unfamiliar with the DA42, there are no prop levers, and no mixtures; just power levers. The ECUs control propeller pitch during normal operation, adjusting the RPM to operate the engine at the most efficient speed to supply the requested percent power. In the event of an engine failure, the pilot must select the appropriate engine master switch and move it to the 'OFF' position to feather the propeller. The debate is whether or not this constitutes a controllable pitch propeller.

Last edited:
The debate is whether or not this constitutes a controllable pitch propeller.

I wish the FSDOs that say "no" would look at 61.31...does it say "pilot controlled propeller"?

Computer controls it, it's controllable pitch....bada bing.

-mini

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back