Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UALjan15

Uniform Swapper
I have just been through the interview process at SWA and didn't make it past the decision board. I don't think I tubed the interview, and all of my references were checked. I also had over a dozen recommendations, most of which also contacted their chief pilots personally. As I try to figure out what went wrong, I am wondering if anyone else that interviewed had these factors working against them:

1) Been hired by SWA in the past, and turned them down to go to another airline.

2) Had a long lapse in flying due to furlough (or whatever). My lapse was 17 months, and the only flying I did in that time was in the sim when I got my type rating.

I feel that either (or both) of these factors could have sealed my fate. I would like to know if others were shot down with similar circumstances, or, maybe you were hired with one or both of these factors. Either way, it would help me figure out if I am doomed forever at SWA, or it I could reapply successfully once I have fixed my flight currency problem.

I'd appreciate any thoughts--
DR

Sorry to hear that, but don't get wrapped around the axle with it. You can always reapply again!! There is also Jet Blue, Air Tran among some others. APPLY TO EVERYONE!!!!!
Keep your chin up and hang in there!!!

Ualjan15,

I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. I too am furloughed from UAL and am hoping for an interview at SWA, and I feel your pain.

I don't think currency was the issue, because they do have a minimum requirement and they would not have selected you for interview if you did not meet the requirement.

I am assuming from your post that you were previously hired at SWA and turned them down to go to UAL. If this is the case, did they ask you about this in the interview? I am curious as to how that question and answer went.

From what I hear, one must always have had a very strong desire to work for SWA which they may have perceived that you did not, if indeed my assumption that you turned them down in the past is correct.

All I can say is keep trying. You will never know the exact reason why they did not accept you, so reapply as soon as you can and persist. Circumstances change, different day, different people on the interview board, different karma. I know this is a blow for you and I do truely feel your pain but persist, persist, persist above all get some sort of flying job to keep the currency going.

Good lusk to you

I would think that if you turned them down before they would not want to hire you. Obviously the only reason you applied is because you got furloughed.

I hope the PD realizes this and asks all furloughs "If you really wanted to work for SWA, why did you not apply BEFORE you got furloughed?" That should make room for folks who want to work there and had SWA #1 on their list before 9-11.

Peace out!!!

SFR said:
I would think that if you turned them down before they would not want to hire you. Obviously the only reason you applied is because you got furloughed.

I hope the PD realizes this and asks all furloughs "If you really wanted to work for SWA, why did you not apply BEFORE you got furloughed?" That should make room for folks who want to work there and had SWA #1 on their list before 9-11.

Peace out!!!

...word.

UALjan15 said:

1) Been hired by SWA in the past, and turned them down to go to another airline.

Is this may be the reason? I don't know. I don't think they would have called you for interview if they knew this would be a killer.

This may be an example of how much harder it is to get hired this hiring cycle. The competition must be fierce.

Call the people Dept. they should tell you why you were not hired. It's my understanding they do this so that you can polish yourself so you'll be able to do better the next time around.

I have a very close friend whom was denied, he called them and they told him.

It is amazing what someone can find as "obvious" after a 2 paragraph post and never having met me......anyway/whatever:

First of all, I applied in '99 well before I was hired or furloughed at UAL and was VERY interested in working for SWA. I felt lucky to have offers from my top 2 choices, and agonized over the decision for months. Why did I choose UAL? Today, that is an easy choice, but back in 2000, you could build a strong case for going either way. Basically, I felt a stronger cultural fit at SWA, but went to UAL for all of the variety, pay, benefits, etc that United offered at the time. There is plenty more to the decision, but this is a post, not a book. At least I was in good company....everyone I met who had these 2 offers joined me at UAL, along with several SWA pilots who left training or a position on the line to go there. Obviously no one had a crystal ball.

Fast forward 4 years, and everything's different. Back on the street, I had a chance to start over and reapply with SWA. I invested my own $$ in a type rating, and waited anxiously for the app window to open. Based on my application, they knew about the previous offer, and also how long I had been out of flying. Still, they were interested enough to grant me an April interview.

As for how the UAL thing went in the interview, it was kind of like having an elephant in the room with you...hard to ignore. My tactic was to clear the air early, either answering the question early or weaving it into my "Why SWA" question. I showed maximum regret, owned up to my mistake, and sincerely stated my case for why I thought I was a good fit at SWA. What else can you do? It wasn't easy......what I avoided was trying to rationalize in the interview why I went to UAL; that just didn't work for me when I practiced that answer. For what it's worth, it seemed to go over well in each interview, and there's nothing I would do differently as far as the interview.

Back to the drawing board,
DR

UAL,

I feel for ya, man. Those who jump to conclusions have obviously never been in your predictament....but they will....what goes around comes around, especially in this industry. Good Luck to you...things will work out eventually.

ALL,

If you were at K&S doing your 737 type Jan29-Feb13, 2004, PM me please.

Latest resources

Back