Beechjet to TXKF?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mephisto

Does options fly the 400A to Bermuda? I thought I heard one headed that way on the radio the other day. I flew one for a short time earlier in my career....seems like that trip would be right on the edge of the range for that plane...:eek:

Not Likely

Well, if you were to look at the distance alone, it is only 677 nm from KILM to TXKF. This would be well within the range of the beechjet assuming you can carry the fuel of course.

I have no experience operating in RVSM airspace or the HF radio requirements. That having been said, not all of our beechjets are RVSM certified (we are working on that), and none that I know of have HF radios in them. More then likely you heard another type of options aircraft, or it may have been a beechjet running the AR routes.

doesn't matter if there's a wet footprint - we don't fly if there is one.

i originally wanted to make pilots consider what would happen if the guy ahead of you on the approach lands gear-up or something - what are you going to do? ack is your closest alternate at 620nm, or go back towards ilm at 677nm. either way, that's quite a load of extra required fuel.

going to bda (or any island) on min required fuel is pretty stupid. i can remember a couple of west coast to hawaii c750 trips in the winter that i didn't do because i had a wet footprint (huge headwinds) - the pax were upgraded to a giv.

"Poor flight planning" is what They would say. Unless it was a perhaps a lifeguard flight or another special circumstance. But I could be wrong (been wrong before.)

I dont think I would launch to Bermuda unless I could get back to ILM (better than ACK if you ask me..)...

this talk to "emergency authority" to land on a taxi way or even worse "how big of a wet footprint" (does it matter HOW big???) is pretty interesting...

Dont do the trip unless you have the minimum equipment required (like the right aircraft)

My ex used to fly a metro (yes a metroliner) to TXKF from BOS and EWR.

They had enough fuel to fly to TXKF, shoot an approach, and fly back to the states. Who would have thunk a Metro could carry about seven hours of gas... ?

Scared the hell out of me, though. If they ever went down, fahgettabout it. One of their planes lost an engine about 200nm outside of Bermuda heading back to the states. They turned around and landed back in BDA.

And yes, I'd definately land on that large taxiway. Wouldn't think twice about it. BDA is one tiny-ass place. You can pass right by it if you aren't paying attention.

At the time there was no RVSM requirements. That may have changed, but US-TXKF isn't in the North Atlantic Tracks system, I don't think.

Latest resources

Back