Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bogey383

???????????
With regards to the duchess, I know it is possible for either engine to consume all the fuel from the opposite tank with one engine inop. Is it possible to sustain both engines off of one tank. There is no indication in the emergency procedures manual, nor does the fuel system diagram indicate either way. let me know. thanks in advance.

Set one to "on" and the other to "crossfeed" and they'll both be feeding from one tank.

Set one to "on" and the other to "crossfeed" and they'll both be feeding from one tank.

That is incorrect. The fuel selector on the inoperative engine is set to OFF while the operative engine fuel selector is set to CROSSFEED.
At that point, yes both engines will run from one fuel tank. Obviously your range will be significantly reduced as there is no way to transfer fuel between tanks.

That is incorrect. The fuel selector on the inoperative engine is set to OFF while the operative engine fuel selector is set to CROSSFEED.
At that point, yes both engines will run from one fuel tank. Obviously your range will be significantly reduced as there is no way to transfer fuel between tanks.

If you're saying that one engine is inoperative, how can both engines run from one fuel tank?
Wasn't the question if both engines are operating?

If you're saying that one engine is inoperative, how can both engines run from one fuel tank?
Wasn't the question if both engines are operating?

If both engines are operating properly then there is no reason to be crossfeeding an engine. The only reason to be crossfeeding is if one engine is inop or is running rough due to fuel starvation, water in the gas, or some other problem with the fuel system on that side. In these situations, you would turn the fuel selector on the inop or rough running engine to OFF and turn the other fuel selector to CROSSFEED. This would enable both engines to run from one tank. This procedure is listed in the Emergency Procedures section in the POH and is only recommended for emergency situation in level flight. Hope this helps.

If both engines are operating properly then there is no reason to be crossfeeding an engine. The only reason to be crossfeeding is if one engine is inop or is running rough due to fuel starvation, water in the gas, or some other problem with the fuel system on that side. In these situations, you would turn the fuel selector on the inop or rough running engine to OFF and turn the other fuel selector to CROSSFEED. This would enable both engines to run from one tank. This procedure is listed in the Emergency Procedures section in the POH and is only recommended for emergency situation in level flight. Hope this helps.

If you turn a fuel selector "off" (say the left side), that engine will quit.

When you select CROSSFEED on the other selector (right side), the right engine will feed from the left tank with the left engine not running.

If you had to feed from one tank (say the left side), you'd leave the left selector ON so the left engine gets gas from the left tank and put the right selector to CROSSFEED so the right engine gets gas from the left tank.

Either way you go, if you put a fuel selector to OFF in the duchess, the engine dies.

-mini

I think I see what you're trying to say, but crossfeed doesn't work like that. The fuel selector selects the fuel source for it's particular engine. When you put the left engine on crossfeed it feeds fuel from the right tank. If you put both engines on crossfeed then the left engine would feed from the right tank and the right engine from the left tank.

From the POH:

Left Engine Inoperative:

1. Right Aux Fuel Pump-ON
2. Left Fuel Selector-OFF
3. Right Fuel Selector-CROSSFEED
4. Right Aux Fuel Pump-ON or OFF as required

Right Engine Inoperative:

1. Left Aux Fuel Pump-ON
2. Right Fuel Selector-OFF
3. Left Fuel Selector-CROSSFEED
4. Left Aux Feul Pump- ON or OFF as required

From the POH:

Left Engine Inoperative:

1. Right Aux Fuel Pump-ON
2. Left Fuel Selector-OFF
3. Right Fuel Selector-CROSSFEED
4. Right Aux Fuel Pump-ON or OFF as required

Right Engine Inoperative:

1. Left Aux Fuel Pump-ON
2. Right Fuel Selector-OFF
3. Left Fuel Selector-CROSSFEED
4. Left Aux Feul Pump- ON or OFF as required

You're misunderstanding the question. The question is with both engines operating can you feed them from one tank, and the answer is yes.

Plunger is wrong, did not understand the question, everyone else is right. I own a Duchess. The POH does say that crossfeed should only be used in emergency situations though. Define emergency.

Prior to getting my fuel selectors overhauled, parking on a slanted area would cause fuel to run from the high side to the low side if I did not turn the fuel selectors to off. I fixed an imbalance once in flight by running one side in crossfeed for about 30 minutes.

Although I can't find any reference in the POH, it probably makes sense to check the crossfeed once in awhile by running in that mode on the ground. I seem to recall in the Senaca that we would do that after start and during taxi but back to mains for run-up. Been a long time.

CalifDan

Latest resources

Back