basic training in a high performance a/c

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bugchaser

Any of you have experience teaching primary students in a high performance aircraft. Have an individual with an S35 bonanza that has about 20 hrs in a 172 and wants to finish his training in the bonanza. I know its not the best idea, but was wondering if anyone has some ideas or experience on how to procede.

Why not??

I trained primary students in Bonanzas at Mesa. My students did just fine. One was an Army Reserve rotorhead with no airplane experience; the other had a few hours of flying. I also worked with other primary students at Mesa and they did fine.

I think the worry might involve some of our own experiences. Most people train in fixed-gear and can't fathom primary training in a high-performance retractable. However, if you don't know from it otherwise you won't know the difference, so if the retractable is the student's sole experience flying he/she won't know the difference. In your case, your student hasn't flown enough for habits to be ingrained fully.

I would attack it from a procedures or flows aspect and don't be satisfied with less than perfect execution of the procedures. Encourage your student to do dry time. Of course, you have to have him demonstrate the emergency gear procedure and you should throw at him all manner of gear and prop emergencies before solo.

The foreign airline flight schools use Bonanzas extensively for primary training. And, after all, what is a T-34?

Hope that helps. Your student will do fine.

Last edited:
I'll throw in another "I second that". If the student is trained in a HP aircraft from lesson one or at least early on, it shouldn't matter. My only caveat would be to stick with one type of aircraft. Since it's the student's plane then it shouldn't be a problem. I'll agree with philiplane in that some Bonanza models can be a big handful that requires a lot of attention to detail. At least the student will be very familiar with trimming the plane when he/she gets ready to fly something else.

I've trained a lot of privates in high performance aircraft however, never in a complex. I had one student who bought a C177RG and the insurance would not let him solo in it. I would check your students insurance policy. If it's allowed great. I would highly suggest that you refrain from doing touch and goes in it. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back