• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alaskaairlines

Future Airline Pilot
Hello guys!

I tought I'd ask all the pilots on this board, especially the regional guys.

The Saab 2000 listed in the 2 links crash landed in a bad storm, it folded up its gear, but as it looks the props are in one piece. Would this be a write off, or is it fixable?

<http://www.airliners.net/open.file/252100/M/>
<http://www.airliners.net/open.file/252099/M/>

Lets hear what you all have to say about this - now thats got to hurt!

BTW, will the pilot be fired or not? It says that according to the charts they did not say the RWY had sand on it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That is most likely fixable. It all depends on if the spar is bent. Mesaba had a hangar fall on saab 340 in DTW. They cut the tail off with a sawzall and rebuilt it. I think this one will be fixed

OH OK - wonder how they will get that Saab out of the small remote strip - and I am guessing it has no mecahnic shop ther, etc....

How did that hangar fall on the S340 in DTW? Weather?

Saab Use

What ya got there is the worlds largest door stop. LOL
Nah I have seen a lot worse. You can get a ferry permit for anything.

Jobear

The question is how are they going to get that thing off the ground?

Most likely they will use large airbags to lift the aircraft. It's not that bad. I have seem aircraft that they had to truck out in several parts, back on the line in under a year. This one looks ferriable.

Saab 2000

Did that Saab 2000 ever get US certification? I remember some years back Pro Air was going to use some of them and even went so far as to doing some intereviewing for the slots but I guess one of the rocket scientists in management didn't realize that the thing had to be certified in the US. I remember reading about it and it sounded like a pretty good airplane.

Why can't they or don't certify that plane in the US? Sure would be nice! I guess it would compete with the Q400?

The runway had a lot more than just "sand" on it. The Saab crew was having some real weather problems, with thunderstorms everywhere, got into that cycle of waffling decisions. Eventually they end up WAY short on fuel, and just ahve to land, the only place they can get to is theic closed airport. Well turns out somebody in a GA aircraft had enjoyed using the field, even after it was officially closed. The neighbors got pissed about the noise and rendered some vigilante justice. They built a several foot high berm directly across the runway. Well our Saab encounters berm and that was that.

It is certified in the US. I know that a few companies had used them for corporate shuttles. It came around at the advent of the RJ and never really caught on.

Latest resources

Back