Bad Credit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigbird

How will the airlines look at my bad credit? I have never filed bankrupcy before. I had some student loans which I defaulted at one time. They are in good standing now. I also had some unpaid credit card and medical bills too. I have paid 90% off this stuff off and trying to rebuild credit. How will this effect me getting a job with the airlines?

I'm not sure that the regionals look at your credit record, but most of the majors do. Getting them back current is a good start. Just make sure you have a well thought out explaination if asked on an interview. Good luck!

credit

The airlines or any other employeur are allowed to look at your credit unless you sign a release form which i do not think is being done at all, not even for your background check

I just received an employment application package from Mesa on Friday. In the package was the credit report request authorization along with many other official authorizations.

Credit reports, and other public records

Everyone should order all their public records before applying to airlines. These include but are not limited to credit reports and driving records.

Many states by law allow you to obtain your credit report for free once a year. Try Experian, Equifax or Trans Union. They are the three main credit reporting bureaus. Even if you have to pay for your credit report, it is worth it because you will know what others can find out about you.

Doesn't Mesa make a big deal about driving records? I remember that MAPD wanted mine. In any event, you can order your state driving records from your state Motor Vehicle Department. Also, your should order your file from the National Driver Registry.

Don't forget about PRIA records. Your FAA airman and medical files, too.

All this information is available and airlines will get it on you if they don't outright ask you to provide it to them. You need it to know what they know about you and to avoid being sandbagged at the interview.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links to do the research before sending the goodies in! Want to make sure all is in order before submitting!

The regionals don't look at your credit, with tight profit margins they don't have the time nor the resources to check your credit.

I think it's absolutley outragous that the major airlines check your credit. Most, if not all, the airlines have abismal financial track records. George W. should be putting those CEO's in jail with all the ERON folks. Taking a government tax payer hand-out and laying off thousands of employees should be a felony.

Latest resources

Back