Background Check

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mr DC3

I have been hired by a regional (SKYW), and let my current employer (an FBO) know.

They have been less than pleased with my decision, and I'm worried that they will do something with my background check to get back at me.

First, I have NOTHING in my background to worry about. . . but, I'm worried that they will put something down (like they would not re-hire me, or that I was a lousy employee) simply for revenge.

1) is this possible?
2) will/can this jeporidize my offer of employment with the regional?

Maybe I'm just paranoid, and some folks have told me that the background check folks expect this type of thing when guys quit to go to the regionals. . .

Maybe someone can shed some light, or has been in the same situitation before!

MR DC3

I had a pilot who flew with me at one company. He left going to Northwest Airlink. They called and asked about him. The owners son gave a negative recommendation. This did not cause a major problem, but he was asked about it. He turned around and got a lawyer. This case started 2 years ago. He is now a captain at airlink and sued and won the case. The settlement was not disclosed but it was found out to be @250,000.

PM me I can give you some info that will help out.

Terry V.
CRJ/FO
ACA

Mr DC3,

I asked the powers that be here and found that there is no pat answer. USUALLY, suchg info is taken with a grain of salt. If the negative comments are well written enough or serious enough, they might take another look.

Employers are not allowed to give a negative reference. They may, as far as I know only give facts such as Mr. Soandso worked here between these dates. He is eleagable for re-hire, etc... They cannot lie or give opinions like "Oh, that guy was a jerk, I'm glad he is gone!". This is why the guy from Airlink sued (with good cause). I am glad to see he won. If anyone is able to get themselves into a HR class at the local college I would highly recomend it! You get to see what can and cannot be asked. It will, in my opinion give you some essential knowledge especially when it comes to getting a job. Besides we know kind of what to expect with the captian portion of the interview, it is the HR part that stumps most of us.

There's always some d!ck out there who is jealous of someone who decides to make something of themselves and tries to tube them in the process. Keep good records of your employment, note possible areas where someone might try to hose you, and sue the crap out of them if they do. "Nuke 'em till they glow, then shoot 'em in the dark." Can I have an Amen?

Latest resources

Back