Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BeanFighter

Keep the Faith!
Question for the former fighter types, I pulled alot of Gs for alot of years with no back problems. Now my 3 G crappy landings are the most I get and my back hurts like hell from just rakeing the yard. Anyone else get back problems AFTER your mil career was over??

After flying the T-37 for 5 years and getting about 2000 hours in it, I had back pain all the time. We only pulled 4-5 Gs in the Tweet, but the seat was hard and at a 90 degree angle. I seems like if you only flew it for 3 years and only got about 1000 hours you were OK. All us reservists who flew it up to the 2000 hour point, however, all have back problems.

First of all, I spent a lot of my own money on chiropractors and massage therapists. If I were you, I would first go to a doctor and see if you have a cracked vertebrae or something really serious. You probably have what we all had - a muscle in your lower back that was unable to release.

Apparently, a lot of tension is held in your lower back while you are G straining. For me, the stress of my job was causing me to hold tension in my back also. You will need several months worth of sessions to get those muscles to finally loosen up. You will need to stretch a lot too.

Another thing. I used to be a runner and I had to give that up. Now, I keep my heart rate in the "fat burning zone" and walk an hour 4 times a week. You can also do the stair climber or elipse. If you go out and run three miles, you will put all that stress right back in place.

Bottom line - you just have to adjust your lifestyle. I think having a bad back and hearing loss are just part of our job. The hardest part is not feeling like a p***y when you see younger people running laps around you everyday.

AbbieF15, one of the moderators at ProfessionalPilotWorlddotcom, just quit flying the Eagle because of back issues. You might want to get in contact with him.

SS

Big Slick, good info, I appreciate it.
Thanks SS, I've pm'd him before. You're not a dick anymore!!!

Last edited:
Get it all documented. I did and when I got out, I filed a VA disability claim. I got 20% on my lower back and VA medical for life. May not sound like much but my current health insurance says that is a previous condition and not covered. Also 20% of my retirement is now "Tax Free".

After flying the F-16 for years (3000 plus hours) I had cronic lower back pain, but so did most of the high time viper drivers I knew. I lived with it for 3 or 4 years.

After I dropped about 10 pounds working out and moved on to a career with the airlines the pain went away within a couple of months. If I had know the problem could have been resolved so easily, I might have moved on sooner.

Go see the doc. Lifes too short to live with constant back pain.

Jim, retired in 2000

Last edited:
Upper back and neck may be next

Sorry to see you join the crowd. As I look around the crash pad the G's have definately taken their toll. Remember the "put your head on a swivel?" Well that's probably the worst thing to do while under G load. Even 2 or 3 G takes a serious toll on your neck and upper back. Hopefully that won't give you trouble later.
You're not a P***y going to the Flight Surgeon about back and neck pain. The VA is fair about it if it's documented but, it's no substitute for being pain free. Take care of yourself and document at the Flt Surgeon. That's not a sign of weakness it's a sign of wisdom! Take the previous posts to heart.

Visit the doc and get X-rays

As previously stated... GET IT DOCUMENTED. If its not in your medical record then it can't be claimed as service related. Also, ensure you file your claim within a year from your last day of active duty. This puts the burden of proof on the gov to prove you don't have a medical issue. If you wait more than the year then you have to prove you do have a problem (small but important difference).

After I got out the VA advisor helped me file a claim for back pain. I'm 10% disabled, get an extra $115 a month and (the whole reason I did it) my kids can go to college for free in California. Don't commit fraud but get the benefits you have a right to!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back