• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Babbit charges dismissed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So...did he fail the DUI test? But got let go on the video evidence that he should have never been pulled over to begin with?
Or did he not submit to the test? (a pilot no-no)
And why did he resign if he was innocent?

Babbitt’s attorney said an initial breathalyzer test showed his client’s blood alcohol level was below the legal limit. A prosecutor maintained that subsequent tests yielded different results, but the case was dismissed before evidence could be presented.

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articl...sed.html?WT.mc_id=120511epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan

It sounds to me like the cops went for multiple mulligans on the test until they got the result they wanted. How accurate is a breathalyzer? Apparantly not as accurate as we're led to believe.

Why'd he resign? Because he was likely under intense pressure to resign. After all, if you're arrested, you're guilty. There's no such thing in the American mindset of a false arrest. Just look at the comments on this thread.

Babbitt’s attorney said an initial breathalyzer test showed his client’s blood alcohol level was below the legal limit. A prosecutor maintained that subsequent tests yielded different results, but the case was dismissed before evidence could be presented.

This is confusing....

You have to CONSENT to a breathalyzer, which he did, and passed. Why would you consent to a second one? I'd have walked out the door and called for a ride home IMMEDIATELY after taking that first test!

End of story!

If I were to ever get arrested for DUI I would want my judges name to be an O' something... General District Judge Ian O’Flaherty would do!!!

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articl...sed.html?WT.mc_id=120511epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan

It sounds to me like the cops went for multiple mulligans on the test until they got the result they wanted. How accurate is a breathalyzer? Apparantly not as accurate as we're led to believe.

Why'd he resign? Because he was likely under intense pressure to resign. After all, if you're arrested, you're guilty. There's no such thing in the American mindset of a false arrest. Just look at the comments on this thread.

Fair enough, but I call it BS......

Quote from linked article:

Former FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt told reporters he bears no ill will against the police officer who arrested him for driving while intoxicated in December, after a Fairfax, Va., judge ruled May 10 that the traffic stop was made on a “mere hunch,” and without just cause.

If any one of "us" were in his shoes, wouldn't you be sitting in your attorneys office discussing this issue?

So...did he fail the DUI test? But got let go on the video evidence that he should have never been pulled over to begin with?

He passed the first test. The cops took several more to get the result that they apparently wanted. I would imagine that he consented to several tests because he figured there wasn't any chance that one would blow positive. According to numerous guests at the event he was driving home from, he only had about three drinks over a period of several hours. The first test would seem to indicate exactly what the witnesses said.

And why did he resign if he was innocent?

When you're an appointee of the President, you don't hold on to office and risk making the big guy look bad. You resign to take the heat off of the President. Just part of the gig. He'll make much better money as a consultant, anyway. He was cleaning up when he owned Eclat Consulting.

When you're an appointee of the President, you don't hold on to office and risk making the big guy look bad. You resign to take the heat off of the President. Just part of the gig.

I'm sure glad Biden doesn't take your advice :) .

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back