• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OzBushWhacker

ATSG buys 3 B767s from Qantas
The Enquirer • June 21, 2010

Air Transport Service Group Inc. said Monday it has committed to buy three Boeing 767-300 extended range jets from Qantas Airways Ltd, executing on a letter of intent announced in May.
The Wilmington, Ohio-based air transport services company said it expects to take delivery on the three GE-power jets, with a payload of 120,000 pounds, by this fall. ATSG didn't disclose the purchase price, but said similar 767-300 extended range freighters are valued from $28.5 to $31.5 million.

Joe Hete, ATSG president and CEO, said, "The purchase of these 767-300ERs extends our leading position in the medium wide-body freighter market, and gives us the means to transport greater cargo volumes over longer non-stop routes than our 767-200s can today."

The company said it will finance the purchase from its existing credit agreements.

Hopefully more jobs!

Interesting, the purchase coincides with ATI getting a recent 76 ETOPS approval from the FAA.

Yes, interesting. They also have passengers on their certificate and experience, too. Any one at ATI know any thing about this? Are they hiring for the 767?

Ya think ATI will just turn them around and fly them for Qantas.....Hmm.

You just never know over there at ATI. They could start hauling troops, their certificate will do it.

Last edited:
Yes, interesting. They also have passengers on their certificate and experience, too. Any one at ATI know any thing about this? Are they hiring for the 767?

We Know one thing... Until someone from ATI has their hands on the throttles, their not going to ATI. I'm sure someone knows (at ATSG), but they haven't told us. But hey we can start rumors.

We hire into the DC-8, sometimes you may be in class when they have a 767 bid, then you have the same opportunity to bid the 76 as anyone else on the property. But if you think your coming here to get a 767 slot, I wouldn't hold your breath. Enjoy the DC-8 for a while, it will teach you how to "fly" again, you might find it fun (or if your on a major ego trip, you'll be miserable, totally your choice!).

Since most of the new 767 slots have gone "home based" recently, there has been a large influx of senior people going to the 767. Since then the flow of new hires to the 767 has pretty much stopped.

Last edited:
Sky, I would take the DC-8 over the 76 any day. I still miss the ol' girl. Nothing says I don't need no stinkin' ETOPS like the DC8 can.

I would trade all the "glass" in the 76 for 2 more engines on it, now that would be a plane...... Oh yeah and if it was built by Douglas (let the fighting begin)

As for the ego, the 8 can humble the best pilots out there..... thats why I love her so.

Last edited:
Interesting, the purchase coincides with ATI getting a recent 76 ETOPS approval from the FAA.

Also coincides with ABX getting 180 ETOPS approval (supposed to be in July, currently 120). But these aircraft are not supposed to be on line until 3-4 quarter 2011 so any body's guess at this time. FWIW

Also in FWIW category, ABX management has recently said ABX would be flying 300's whether it is these remains to be seen. Again this was management so.......

Latest resources

Back