Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mr Biggelsworth

DEPORT HULAS
So I understand the fact that after you have taken the written and if you're employed by a 121 carrier that the written is frozen. But what happens if you're hired by another 121 carrier, does it become unfrozen and then refrozen again? I took the atp last year and just quit my current job for another one; will I need to do it again when I upgrade or will it continue to be frozen until then? Thanks in advance.

Normally if you leave an air carrier with an expired ATP written, you have to re-take it at your next air carrier job. Do a single engine ATP check ride never take the written again. You SEL ATP will never have a score, so the interviewer can not ask you how come you only got a 96 on your ATP written.

Two more people who didn't bother to look it up. Pilotyip, your (re-take) reference was true several years ago. Here is the current regulation:

61.39 Prerequisites for practical tests.

(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant:
(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved....

JAFI, yes I was aware of that, but you had to be a PIC to make it valid for life. Most airlines don't want to mess with ensuring you meet the requriement of 61.39 (b) and just want a fresh current ATP written.

Here's a question, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this......

About three years ago I took the ATP written, passed on the first take, and then put the test report in a "safe" place. Problem is......you guessed it.....now it's gone. I've spent the last week tearing my place apart looking for it but the thing appears to be gone for good. Still can't believe it. Anyhow, does anyone know if it's possible to get a replacement from the FAA or will I have to retake? I know for losing it I definitely deserve to be punished. Anyone have info?

(Before you flame away, I'm already kicking myself in the a$$ pretty hard for this)

JAFI, yes I was aware of that, but you had to be a PIC to make it valid for life.

Huh?????

Most airlines don't want to mess with ensuring you meet the requriement of 61.39 (b)

Ummm, "ensuring you meet the requirement of 61.39(b)" is not terribly burdensome. Ask the question "are you employed by a part 121,125, or 135 operator?" if the answer is yes, you meet the requirements. It's that simple. Presumably, an airline would have this information about thier employees.

Last edited:
A square, you had to complete PIC training at the other airline, but not get a ATP? Uh? That is a pretty skinny window. I know most places like FedEx etc. are not going to go through that process.

A square, you had to complete PIC training at the other airline, but not get a ATP? Uh? That is a pretty skinny window. I know most places like FedEx etc. are not going to go through that process.

Uhhh, nooooo, nobody said anything about completing captain training at another airline and not getting an ATP. THat's part of hte problem here. You're imagining things which just don't exist.

Now. the requriemnents (ignoring the part about the military)

1) you have to be employed by a 121,125 or 135 operator

and

2) you must have completed that operator's PIC training.

Now, most airlines are going to know which of thier employees are employed by them (Hint, all of them) and most airlines are going to know which of thier employees have completed the PIC training.

It is *that* simple.

Starscream, try this link to get lost test results:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/test_results_replacement/

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Pilotyip, you must be in PIC training at the time you want to use the expired test results. The expired results then get a sign off from the Inspector/Examiner to confirm they are valid at the time of the exam. It is no big thing. Some people try to use expired test scores when they "buy" a type rating but 141/142 schools are not part of the list of allowable training courses in this case. They do not read the regulation well or "are too lazy to look it up" like the first poster.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Bigglesworth, I try to only help those who make a valid attempt or are unsure of some information. It is too bad you lack some "professionalism" in your chosen career. But, I know of your company and some of the pilots (it is a small world). You are not the norm, but an exception. I won't make the same mistake with you again. Good luck with that "Lazy" attitude.

JAFI

Latest resources

Back