Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
We have a ATP at our place (Part 91 department, not charter, not airliner/commuter) who claims he can give others instruction because he is ATP and the regs let him.

I looked up 61.167 and it states that it must be "air transportation service" which I loosely equate to airline type ops.

Can anyone point me to the FAA definition of "Air Transportation Service" and any additional regs, etc that would support that he CANNOT give instruction as he claims.

Far 1.1:

Air transportation means interstate, overseas, or foreign air transportation or the transportation of mail by aircraft.

and

Interstate air transportation means the carriage by aircraft of persons or property as a common carrier for compensation or hire, or the carriage of mail by aircraft in commerce:
(1) Between a place in a State or the District of Columbia and another place in another State or the District of Columbia;
(2) Between places in the same State through the airspace over any place outside that State; or
(3) Between places in the same possession of the United States; Whether that commerce moves wholly by aircraft or partly by aircraft and partly by other forms of transportation.

If you "firend" signs just one student logbook - he/she may not have to worry about being a ATP for long.....

He is missinformed in the intent of what instruction an ATP can do.

The way I understand things, yes he can...as a check pilot or authorized Instructor under 91.1093 or 91.1095.
An ATP holder in that capacity can instruct/train "new hires" or do recurrency checks for the company that employs him.
He can't go about freelance flight instructing for a certificate or rating such as PPL or Instrument rating.

That would only apply to a fractional company operating with an approved operating certificate under 91 subpart K
An ATP can't instruct in a corporate flight department without appropriate CFI as well.

Latest resources

Back