Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Youneek28

Hey all,

I have just applied to the 5/28/08 closing date and was wondering if Atl has any open spots? I "heard" that ATL was the second most understaffed and was wondering if it were true. If I get the job offer I would prefer tower but would consider Center as well as they are clse to where I want to live. I would choose a different state if I had to wait on my preferred location. So, later on down the road, how easy is it to transfer from lets say Miami tower to Atl tower?

My qualifications .......
4 year degree
2800 ish hours
Captain at an airline. You would know us as "Jetlink"

I'm looking at different jobs within aviation with a possible home life and ATC sounds like a great opportunity. Any information you guys can give me would be great.

Thanks

Yes, ATL is understaffed. But how many new folks and when they will be selected is an unknown. Also where they would come from (CTI, off the street, of military) is also anybody's best guess. We (ATL Tower) have had several sucessful military new hires. and one sucessful CTI (from ERAU). But no off-the-street hires have been placed at ATL Tower since this all began.
You have other options: Atlanta Center (An ATC-12; I wouldn't recommend a center as the training takes a long time and a lot more folks wash out there), but if its you only option, then grab it. PDK Tower (an ATC-7) on the northside of the Atlanta area, and Atlanta Approach Control (A80 - an ATC-12) located in Peachtree City.
Don't think this will happen fast. Even the military hires have tld me it took them upward of a year + before anything happened for them in the hiring process.
Once you're in the system and fully-certified, tranferring isn't hard as long as there's an opening and you're willing to pay you own move. The problem for the new folks is that many of us old-times will out point you on a selection list, so you may not even be considered for several years. You get points for the highest level facility you've been certified at, years of service, up to 5 points for having a private, instrument rating, comml, dispatchers lic, and a CFI. They do not care about how much flight time you have. You get points for college. You get points for internal FAA training, and internal FAA awards.
If you're interested in FL then ask for it. As it may be awhile before you get to transfer and there are many, many facilities all across FL (more than GA, so it will up your odds). The more states you put down the better off you will be. Just don't put any down that really don't interest you, as you may get stuck there.

Last edited:
Getting from MIA to ATL right now is probably impossuble, b/c they are as understaffed as we are. You'd be better off to go to a lower level tower, certify, then start bidding upward and out. MCO is splitting from the radar facility next January (2009), the Tower will be an ATC-9 with no state income tax. Not a bad aspiration and an easy check out!

Hey thanks

Atl tower would be the first choice and then I guess center. PDK would be good as well but I know there is a large pay difference. Peachtree city isn't close to anything and the drive from downtown isn't that desirable. Im from Conyers originally and would like to stay somewhat close. Although I dont think being picky is a great thing but I have my interest. I would only be interested in FL if I didnt get the places in GA. The way I look at it though, is that if im not going to be in GA then I might as well live somewhere fun like Miami for instances. I just have a feeling that the airline thing is going to be a long dark road for a while and im not getting any younger. Hypothetically speaking, If i were to get offered PDK what would be the chances of maybe getting Atl tower later on?

I have the degree and an ATP with all the CFI's. Who knows what will happen, im just going to sit wait for the email. Where I am right now didnt happen over night and neither will the atc thing

Thanks again

We have gotten 2 folks from PDK. PDK would be a better choice than the Center. At the Center you will stay at 35K for 2 - 3 years. Where you could certify all the way thru PDK in inder a year. Also alot of people fail the training at the Centers, PDK is almost a sure thing (I do not knowof but 1 washout from PDK since 1987). If you fail at your first facility then they can let you go (terminate you). Jusr food for thought. Plus PDK is a very social airport....you might enjoy being there for awahile. I did.

Well PDK will be the next choice then. I'm sure you're right about the center thing and trust me I do listen to experienced people. I think tower will be the best job for someone like me. I might not be able to fly the planes but at least i'll be able to see them. So that is the plan if offered the job. Go to any tower in the southeast and wait out ATL. And like you said maybe not go to an understaffed place so that I will have the option to leave some day. Who knows maybe i'll get to stay in the ATL area.

I was going to schedule a tour with the tower here at LAX and they allow airlines pilots to do it. Do ya'll allow the same? I have to come out that way next month and would like to stop by.

Thanks Again.

I don't know how it is now but I tried hard as hell for years to get ATL. In the long run I'm happy, ORD is a machine as is ATL. The chances of getting placed into ATL off the bat is slim to none. Its possible but don't hold your breath. ZTL isn't so bad. My buddy works there in the Logan sector and seems to enjoy himself. A90 is a slim to no shot off the bat too. Its possible but unlikely as well. Don't be disappointed if you get some smaller tower in the SE. Pay a few dues, and then bid out. The staffing crisis is going to last quite a few more years and if you want ATL you could easily get it some day if your patient. Don't expect a miracle....

Yeah Im sure I will have to wait on it and I am fine with it. My ultimate goal is to be in the ATL area someday. PDK would be great but it might be hard to get as well. I have looked at all the places I would be willing to go that isn't in Atlanta and the list is pretty long. I prefer to stay in the southeast and actually wouldn't mind Indy. My entire career has been "paying my dues" so I can handle it

As far as the data, in what way are they incorrect for ATL tower? Are the staffing levels better of worse than posted?

Latest resources

Back