Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJP

Registered Eye-Poker
Anyone have any intel on working in Asia outside of Japan. A long time ago, I had a buddy fly in Cambodia but that's no longer available. I saw a place in Malaysia that's hiring but need a Malaysia ATP.

Somewhere in that area would be nice. Jakarta, maybe?

Thanks.
RJP

RJP said:
Anyone have any intel on working in Asia outside of Japan. A long time ago, I had a buddy fly in Cambodia but that's no longer available. I saw a place in Malaysia that's hiring but need a Malaysia ATP.

Somewhere in that area would be nice. Jakarta, maybe?

Thanks.
RJP

What are you qualifications? Most jobs in Asia require time in type. If you are not type rated with at least 500 hours in a particular type it becomes far more difficult to find work in Asia. There are a few outfits that will hire people that need to be trained, but they stil require some minimum level of qualifications. China Airlines and EVA Airways of Taiwan are desperate and will hire people with fairly low quals. They are not the best place to work and they make you sign a training bond ( or even put up a bank guarantee ). Can be used as a stepping stone if you are willing to put in the 4 to 5 years required though.

Typhoonpilot

Unfortunately, I'm not typed in much of anything flying over there. I'm not averse to Japan but 8 months of groundschool seems a little extreme. Besides, cost of living in Japan is higher than almost anywhere over there.

I've heard about the China Air thing. Buddy of mine had the phone interview and they wanted something like $8k in a "bank account" that they would keep if he broke the five year contract. He didn't go.

I'll keep trolling the net. Thanks for the input.

RJP said:
Unfortunately, I'm not typed in much of anything flying over there. I'm not averse to Japan but 8 months of groundschool seems a little extreme. Besides, cost of living in Japan is higher than almost anywhere over there.

I've heard about the China Air thing. Buddy of mine had the phone interview and they wanted something like $8k in a "bank account" that they would keep if he broke the five year contract. He didn't go.

I'll keep trolling the net. Thanks for the input.

I would tell them yea $8,000 in a bank only if they pay 10+% interest on that money for 5 years and I would do it! Even better make it $16,000 @ 10% for 7.2 years

Indonesia, Philippines (FedEx would be nice....) or South Pacific jobs? Any ideas?

RJP said:
Unfortunately, I'm not typed in much of anything flying over there. I'm not averse to Japan but 8 months of groundschool seems a little extreme.

thats cuz it takes a while to teach you gaijin how to do things like the proper way to grip the tiller bar, etc.

RJP said:
Besides, cost of living in Japan is higher than almost anywhere over there.

i'm sure you can find a beach park similar to ala moana over there to park your car and live in. matson will surely ship the car you're living in now, you just have to figure a way to get it to the docks. ;)

on a serious note.. have you tried air asia? www.airasia.com (kl and bkk bases), also check out pb air (bkk). also check out pprune.org.. thats pretty much the clearing house for foreign jobs and info.

As always you're a true wealth of information. Mucho gracias amigo.

My car wouldn't pass the shakken (inspection) in Japan. It barely passes the one here.

I'll check the places you've recommended. Too bad Hugh isn't the chief pilot someplace over there.......

Oh, and the grip on the tiller is much more difficult when wearing those white gloves.

dash8driver said:
thats cuz it takes a while to teach you gaijin how to do things like the proper way to grip the tiller bar, etc.

i'm sure you can find a beach park similar to ala moana over there to park your car and live in. matson will surely ship the car you're living in now, you just have to figure a way to get it to the docks. ;)

on a serious note.. have you tried air asia? www.airasia.com (kl and bkk bases), also check out pb air (bkk). also check out pprune.org.. thats pretty much the clearing house for foreign jobs and info.

Latest resources

Back