ASA training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

How long is ASA training? When do your flight benefits kick in for you (badge?) or your spouse? Are they still keeping you at the Red Roof Inn.

Thanks

How long is ASA training? When do your flight benefits kick in for you (badge?) or your spouse? Are they still keeping you at the Red Roof Inn.

Thanks

No idea on the rest of it, but I think the pot smoke wafting through the ducting, the armed robberies, and the prostitutes trolling the hallways were enough to send the Red Roof the way of the dinosaur.

When I got hired (7ish years ago) training was about 5 weeks (not counting "sitting around time" because they were running behind) and I think pass bennies kicked in after 30 days. No idea how that holds up today.

former student of mine just got hired at ASA. 2 weeks indoc, 2 weeks systems, 1 week gen ops (WTF?) cpt's are about a week, 2 weeks sims, and then jumpseat oe and ioe to be about 2 weeks if they're not running behind schedule. that's about 10 weeks total. he's staying at the westin, but says future classes are somewhere else.

Anyone know when the next few classes are scheduled to start? i think there is one starting on the 5th, but any others coming up soon?

Anyone know when the next few classes are scheduled to start? i think there is one starting on the 5th, but any others coming up soon?

As far as I know, they have been having a new class every 2 weeks. Not sure how Thanksgiving will come into play with that though...

Any idea when you get your badge so you can jumpseat?

Training is a solid 2 months plus some change depending on how scheduling works out.

Your pass benefits will kick in right away, IIRC, you get your crew badge and id on day one or two.

You cannot jumpseat on the Delta network (yes that includes ASA) for 30 days for system/tech reasons. Any other airline will take you right away, though.
  • 2 weeks for indoc is still the case, though it seemed like a bit much because you forget it all during systems anyways.
  • 2 weeks systems, expect about 2 weeks for Sims depending on what you fly though (ATR vs CRJ). If you get the ATR, consider yourself lucky. Training is very thorough. This includes about a weeks worth of CPT training. Take advantage of the CPT training. If you shine in CPTs, sims will be easy. If you slack off during CPTs, you will have major problems in sims.
  • 2 weeks for CRM training. Correction, 2 days, but it sure felt like 2 weeks.
  • 2 days gen ops
  • budget for 2 weeks in the sims. Could easily be more than the alotted 7. Many got an extra sim or two if they were paired with another F/O.
  • ATR guys get 3 full days of aircraft flight training at an outstation in the middle of the night where you fly the plane with no pax. Third day is the 2nd part of your checkride.
  • Jumpseat OE shouldn't take you more than 2 days unless you're lazy.
  • IOE could be one 4 day or two full trips.
Just getting to IOE took my group appx 2.3 months. We had no breaks at all. Zero. (best way to do it, you get done fast). We did get most weekends off. Some guys did get a week or two off between Indoc and Systems, but I didn't count them.

ASA does not seem to really spare any expense on training. They will do what they can to help you get through the process.

Last edited:
You cannot jumpseat on the Delta network (yes that includes ASA) for 30 days for system/tech reasons. Any other airline will take you right away, though.

Not true. You cannot nonrev for a month, but it is because they make everyone wait a month. You are in the CASS system nearly immediately, and once you are in there you can jumpseat on Delta or ASA. If you have problems the first time, call the jumpseat coordinator at ext. 2252. They will work it out for the ASA jumpseat.

The only reason you may have a problem is that Delta uses the Pass Rider number instead of your employee number for the jumpseat process. Again, the jumpseat coordinator will be able to help on ASA.

They specifically told us in Indoc that we could not jumpseat for a month on the DL network. Maybe they meant non-rev but accidentally said j/s. This was the understanding in our class.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back