Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

COOPERVANE

Member since 1967
Anytime mgmt wants something we have to ask why? Is it good for us or them?

Right now, as I understand it we will be changing to a pref-bid system in the future. Most pilots I have spoken to welcome it.

Many Skywest pilots seem to hate the pref system. It allows Mgmt more flexibility while limiting the pilots'. Right now if I have vacation, ALL conflicting trips are dropped. one week off becomes 3 if you bid right. Under the pref-bid system there are no pairings or conflicting trips. One week off is one week off.

Besides, Skywest pilots have to SELF-POSITION to pick up the remainder of their trips, or to get home for their vacation to start. (as I understand it)

THAT SUCKS

If this is true, don't be so quick to embrace pref-bidding. BEWARE!!

Pref bidding su(k$! It is a management tool to continue to screw us. Nobody who uses it likes it. It may be good for the to 5% or so, but after that it stinks. Crap rolls downhill.

I always thought pref bidding would be a plus but after talking to a few Comair folks (don't know if it's a fair representation) I'm not so sure.

Maybe I'm reluctant only because I finally got to double digits on my seat seniority and don't want a change, but if management wants it I have to assume there has to be some sort of angle on the whole thing.

Pref bidding is much more effecient for planning. It is great for the most senior pilots, but even they will get screwed on the vacation drop. Therefore If the company wants pref bidding we better get some really really GREAT improvments in our contract!!!
I vote NO

If the software is AOS, which is what SkyWest Airlines is using, run away. Very, very difficult to use. It used to take me about 30-45 minutes before to bid, last month it took, no lie, over 10 hours to try and figure it out.

Of course it saves the company bundles, substantially reduces reserve compliments and eliminates monthly transitions problems, that's what it's all about. Obviously they are not doing it for you.

COOPERVANE said:
. Right now if I have vacation, ALL conflicting trips are dropped. one week off becomes 3 if you bid right. Under the pref-bid system there are no pairings or conflicting trips. One week off is one week off.
quote]

Yes and you lose all those hours and have your guarantee dropped

Screw ASA Mgt, Seriously.

This is turning into a total joke, after this long we can't even have a strike vote? We should vote tomorrow. I don't see any reason not to, all of our chief pilots are worthless, scheduling is still abusing us and now they want pref bid to screw us over even more. We should all start flying at 250 indicated and quit being nice out there. Hardball is the only way that we are going to bend this idiots over.

We are running NavTech ClassBid at RAH, and it has benefits and drawbacks for everybody. If we had it to do over again I'd probably go the same route and vote for it, I feel that it's a benefit overall.

Pilot Benefits:
Senior guys can build dream schedules, trips and days that they want.
Anybody in the top half or so can get the trips or days they want easily, maybe both.
All but the bottom-most lineholders can at least protect days they need off without having to drop trips.
Routinely easy to string 5-6 days off together, less need for vacation time unless you need it guaranteed off far in advance.
Ability to get 10+ days off over month-end without any use of vacation time.
Ability to bid reserve and protect the days you need off rather than take a junior line.
Our system is easy to use. It's all graphic menus and there is a feature that sorts trips to show you what you want.
Better average utilization. You can get more time off if you bid well and get decent trips. A bunch of guys managed to time out last year and get a few weeks of at the end by bidding maximum every month, which is not possible with company created 78 hour lines.

Pilot Negatives:
No "touch drop" for vacation to turn 1 week into 3. Trips are set around a "pre-awarded" vacation block.
Junior guys tend to get screwed, but that happens with line bidding anyway.
Better average utiliztion, some guys lose days off compared to lines.
Fewer pilots required in each seat due to the better utilization.

Company Positives:
Better utilization, we get worked harder overall.
Less staffing to cover due to no messy "transition" seams at month rollover.

Company negatives:
Our planners now work 48 houors straight during the run-time every month. Not our issue unless you are one of the scheduling committee guys sitting with them.

That's it for the general basics. PM me if you have more questions about the specific CLassBid system, I can probably answer..

..CT

AuburnRedneck9 said:
all of our chief pilots are worthless, scheduling is

Where do they get these fools. I think the only good chief is out with heart problems. I would hate being in SLC, your situation is looking pretty bad with who you got running the show. If they only knew how to fly something other than a desk.

Sinca3 said:
Pref bidding is much more effecient for planning. It is great for the most senior pilots, but even they will get screwed on the vacation drop. Therefore If the company wants pref bidding we better get some really really GREAT improvments in our contract!!!
I vote NO

Actually, it's not great for the most senior pilots...I'm in top 3% and am getting less days off with less pay than before our fabulous PBS!!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back