Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Brasilias

Hey all...

Talked to my inside guy at ASA today. He's a check airman on the Brasilia and is involved in some of the hiring process. He told me that he hasn't heard about any slowdown in training and that they are supposed to run two Brasilia classes in December.

Of course, just like at any airline, things change by the minute so this could be old news in the time it takes me to post this, but that's supposedly the latest.

He told me that he hasn't heard about any slowdown in training and that they are supposed to run two Brasilia classes in December.

The last class was on Nov. 4th. It doesnt look like there will be anymore classes in Nov. and there are none scheduled for Dec. There was a rumor that there might be a class on Dec. 2nd but they would have had to call people by today in order to give the "required" two weeks notice. I havent heard of anyone being called. That would leave the 9th and 16th of Dec. for class dates. I think that it would be unlikely that they would schedule classes in subsequent weeks so close to the holidays. Hopefully I am all wrong! I would love to see two classes in Dec., however, I dont expect to see any new hire classes until January. Thanks for all of the updates, keep em coming!

There are several reasons the E120's are going away:

1) They consume the same amount of ramp space as a CRJ but produce less than 1/2 the revenue.
2) They will require enhanced GPWS and cockpit door modifications to continue in PAX service. These are expensive mods.
3) A CRJ can be financed for less cash than the cost to perform a C Check on an E120. With all the efforts being made to reduce Delta's cash burn rate, the immediate cost of E120 heavy maintenance can be "saved" by replacing it with jet equipment.
4) They are another "type" on the property - resulting in more training costs. The training department does not produce revenue.

Each aircraft is staffed at roughly 5.5 crews (11 pilots) per aircraft. With the deliveries schduled for 2003, we should need around 15 to 20 pilots per month. The CR7's actually have the effect of producing two openings. One vacancy on the new airplane and one on a CR2, or AT7, as one of those pilots upgrades to the higher paying equipment.

ASA does not make our own hiring decisions. We have input, but the numbers come from a little further east on Virginia Ave. We hire what Delta lets us hire.

And as everyone else has mentioned - ASA's training department is swamped by the effect of the October awards that are being filled. We are still interviewing and hiring. Good luck to everyone - ASA is a fine place to be.

Latest resources

Back