approach scenerio/ approach lights off

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BGSM

Your on a very tight right base 3/4 mile from the airport and high for 6 left and cleared for the visual into an airport your not familiar with you turn final and realized you turned too soon(you had 6left localizer tuned) and are lined up for 7 left the approach lighting for 6 left is off but 7 left is on tower see's it about the time you realize it and tells you go around and turn left. You start the go around and turn tower asks if you can still make 6 left when you start the turn/go around you say yes your cleared again to land 6 left with out going around and land tower doesn't ask them to call when you land

they shouldn't of accepted such a tight approach and the approach lighting system for 8 left being off didn't help and not being familair with the airport contributed to it as well. Questions are is this a violation? If so what reg? why was the approach lighting system off? Even though they was not asked to call will something come up weeks later? The next night they are coming in to the same airport tower clears them for the visual for 6 left the same controller ask them if they were the same crew from the night before and they reply yes, tower replies land on the northen most runway. Guys feel bad enough from the night before seems like tower was rubbing it in. Constructive input and answers to the questions are appreciated.

oh my hell, thats the longest sentence I've ever seen:D
And painful to try to read. I would like to help but it isn't worth the time to try to decipher it.

Bottom line, if you are on a visual approach, then the approach lights mean squat. The lights are part of the instrument approach, if you have accepted the visual, then you are no longer on the instrument, right?

Don't accept the visual approach unless you have the field in site, this means that you know where you are, and where the runway is, don't think that applied to you.

Sounds like you might be talking about LAX. They have a nasty tendancy to want you take the visual at night and not have the approach lights on to the runway they want to send you too. I fell for it a couple of times.

All you did was line up on the wrong runway. -Like that's never happened before.
I didn't get a call when I busted my altitdue by 1000', thus you probably won't hear anything from this.

You're probably fine. Especially if there was no traffic conflict, and if tower had a sense of humor about it. File a NASA report.

Latest resources

Back