• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APG, EFB Pro, Ultranav

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is the most uninformed post I have read in a long time.

All the RA data is based on an engine failure at V1. You file a normal DP and if you do lose an engine at V1, you execute the escape procedure. You don't file "no DP" or file to some random waypoint on the escape procedure. Complete FUD.

Every airline has specific escape procedures for certain airports and they ALWAYS file standard DP's with the understanding that the crew will inform ATC ASAP if they elect to deviate from the clearance to follow an escape procedure.

This was a question that I asked APG directly. The answer is you can file the SID when the APG course overlays it (which most do now). Then in the case where you have to climb in a hold, you exercise your 91-1 authority to deviate as necessary.

The question is when the APG procedure does not overlay the SID. For instance up until last year the procedure at KEGE and KJAC did not overlay the SID. Once you departed on the SID and lost an engine, how do you get back on to the "escape manuever." The answer from APG is that you fly the manuever from the get go. When I asked how do I demonstrate to ATC my intent, I was told (and it makes perfect sense) that you file to the last point along the "escape manuever" and file NO SIDS in the remarks. ATC issues you a clearance, and you are responsible for terrain separation until reaching that fix (theoretically not a problem if you follow the procedure - even on one engine). Jackson Hole was a prime example of this. The APG procedure used to be to climb in a hold right over top of the JAC VOR until you were something like 15K. The Teton and Geyser departures have you flying down the valleys. Now if you are 10 miles north of JAC and lose your engine, good luck getting back to the VOR.

Fortunately APG has realigned most of their procedures to overlay the SID, and rarely is this an issue anymore. I would encourage you to call APG and talk to Mark or Roger, if you really believe what I have told you is uninformed.

Since you love beer so much, I will gladly bet you one, that when the APG procedure differs from the SID, you fly the APG procedure and do not transition to it from the SID.

I have no experience with APG so I can't say what they did or didn't tell you. That said, how would you file your departure if the RA was as follows? You pick any appropriate SID:

* RENO, NV KRNO *
* RENO/TAHOE INTL 29 Apr 10 *
* Rwy TAKEOFF WEIGHTS FOR RWY 16LDP REQUIRE USE OF *
* 16LDP THIS TAILORED DEPARTURE PROCEDURE: *
* NOTE: THIS PROCEDURE IS APPLICABLE ONLY *
* FOR AIRCRAFT OPERATING AT V2 LESS THAN *
* 135 KIAS. *
* NOTE: DO NOT UTILIZE THE ACCELERATION *
* HEIGHT PUBLISHED ON THE RUNWAY ANALYSIS. *
* NOTE: POWER MUST BE REDUCED FROM TAKEOFF *
* THRUST TO MCT AT THE AFM TIME LIMIT *
* FOR TAKEOFF THRUST. *