Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone used a Megellan 315 GPS for aviation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snakum

How's your marmott?
I talked to a pilot online who, being broke like me, couldn't afford an Airmap 100 or Garmin unit. So this guy bought a Megellan 315 for $139 and uploaded the Jepp aviation database for North America (only the parts of it he flew in actually, iirc) and he says he loves it. He says it's clear and legible, does everything he needs when flying, etc.

Have any of you guys used one? What did you think about it?

Minh "Broke-Ass" Thong

I just found out that Magellan used to sell the 315 with the aviation database on CD, as the 315A, and they are quite popular. Since GPS is really just a luxury item for me right now, I can't justify spending $500 on a nicer unit yet. Eventually, if I get to do company flying semi-regularly, I'll probably get an Airmap er sump'n. But right now I just need a little backup device.

I need a handheld radio worse than a GPS, and I've found JHP-500s as low as $225. I read a review on the JHPs which said they outperformed the Icoms and Vertex by a noticeable margin, despite their lower price. And I talked to a couple owners back when I was flying regularly who said the same thing, after having owned several brands/models. Perhaps I'll post a WANTED as in the Buy/Sell forum :)

Minh

The 315A was the first handheld I used. If you're looking for basic "how do I get there from here" and situational awareness, it does the trick as well as any of the more sophisticated models. I used it flying around the Colorado mountains and never had a problem with it.

Latest resources

Back