Anyone ever fly jumpers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pianoman

Friend of a friend was talking to me about possibly flying jumpers part-time. I don't think I'd be doing it for money but perhaps for some free airplane hours when not being used.

Most of me says this is way too big a can of worms to be opening after having made it this far. Small part says it could be fun.

Also I hate to take a job away from someone who needs it, especially with all the guys on the street.

Are most of these operations pretty hazardous to your certificates?

HEll yeah man! Still do to this day. I have been flying skydivers for a long time now and never have I had any problems with the faa. The money isnt great but it sure is a good time! As far as the aircraft go...it depends on the dz and how they take care of the bird. Skydivers really dont care what it looks like or how it runs...they just want to jump out of it. PM me and I will give you more details..Blue skies

P.S. The skydiving birds are better than some off the boeings I fly!! No B.S.

I flew jumpers starting out....I also used to jump. It was bad when you go to jump and they want you to fly. Great group of people. Look at the planes carefully and check the gas. Don't get violated.

It can be fun, but also a pain in the butt working long days. Be familiar with far 105 and research the people you will work for. Many places take short-cuts etc on the airplanes. You are also responsible if the jumpers go through clouds and such. i flew a 402 and found it enjoyable most of the time.

the only way to get violated flying skydivers is to screw up...CYA! you will be fine...make sure you make a few skydives while your at it!!

Last edited:
Be sure and stick your tanks EVERYTIME and carry a spare key in a handy location. It's a game with a few to reach over the shoulder, turn the key off then take the key out the door laughing all the way.

I flew a lot of jumpers while I was building time. It was great fun at the time. But I wouldn't consider it now. Most, but certainly not all dropzones leave a lot to be desired with maintenance. My first engine failure was in a Cessna 182. I found out after the fact that the engine had 3800 hours SMOH. TBO on the O470 was 2000 hours. Also, you'll be pressured to fly in marginal weather. And you're responsible for what the jumpers do. Fun flying at the time, but for me, it's not worth the risk anymore.

Good Luck,
bs

Stay away from Paul Fayard (sp) and George Ireland. Paul owns, or did, Carolina Sky Sports and George runs a DZ in NH. He leases a couple of Twotters, BE99 and a King Air. I have only limited experience w/ Carolina Sky Sports and too much with Ireland. Neither will have much regard for you or their jumpers that pay for the lift ticket. Atlanta Skydive Center is run by equally repellent individuals. They have their own epuipment now and God be with those that fly it. They asked if I wanted to wear the rig when I flew. I asked them when it had been repacked and certified, and they said "5 years ago." I said, "no thanks, I'll take my chances on this POS King Air."

I had a good time flying jumpers, but would not do it again. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back