Any Ireland thoughts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cfd130

Maybe going to Ireland in a couple of weeks. Any thoughts of where to go-how to get around,where to stay etc. Thanks for the info.

Tis the tail end of the season so places to stay may be pricey, I look for en-suite rooms that include full breakfast. I would expect 30-40 Euro per person. Don't be afraid to rent a car and drive into the countryand out of the citys. If you have never driven on the left, no worries you will get used to it, just watch the roundabouts ;)
I luv Dublin. The Guinness brewery is a good tour, but I am partial to the Stout. In Dublin for a way to get a look at the city's touristy attractions the hop on hop off bus works very well, and Guinness is one of the stops.
http://www.dublinbus.ie/sightseeing/cityTour.aspx

There is plenty to do in Dublin, I have never flown into Shannon so I dont have much advice there. However, if you like a medievil type feast in a castle, Bunratty has a nice feast also stop in Durty Nellies just outside the castle for a pint. The Blarney Castle and Stone are near Cork all an easy drive from Shannon. I like the Waterford crystal factory tour in Waterford. Wicklow also to the south of Dublin is known for its beauty. North of Dublin check out Knoth and the 5000 year old passage tomb at New Grange.

Ireland has changed a lot in the last 10 years or so. I normally go in October or early April. I always have fun, good craic!

Good luck!

"The Guinness brewery is a good tour, but I am partial to the Stout. "

If you get to Cork, try the Murphy's brewery and stout. You'll never want Guinness again!!!

Catnhat said:
If you get to Cork, try the Murphy's brewery and stout. You'll never want Guinness again!!!
I agree, Murphy's is excellent. I must visit the brewery. I do get it when I can, but fresh is best.
THanks for something to plan on my next visit!
:beer:

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the distributor in my area stopped carrying Murphy's kegs, so I haven't had a drawn one in awhile. Still available in bottles, but its just not the same!
I guess I'll have to plan another trip to the homeland!
:beer:

Ireland

Flew into Shannon a few times and stayed @ the Limerick Ryan Hotel. We hired a driver and van (rental cars can be had as well) and visited Bunratty Castle, Dromoland Castle, Galway Bay, the Cliffs of Moher, and other little places along the way. This was a great way to see southwest Ireland.

nomad3218 said:
We hired a driver and van (rental cars can be had as well) and visited Bunratty Castle, Dromoland Castle, Galway Bay, the Cliffs of Moher, and other little places along the way.

A song I used to sing to an Irish lass-

From the cliffs of Moher to your front door
Better turn out the lights and pray some more
We're gonna party through the night until the dawn
Then you and I are gonna get it on

V1cut said:
Tis the tail end of the season so places to stay may be pricey, I look for en-suite rooms that include full breakfast. I would expect 30-40 Euro per person. Don't be afraid to rent a car and drive into the countryand out of the citys. If you have never driven on the left, no worries you will get used to it, just watch the roundabouts ;)
I luv Dublin. The Guinness brewery is a good tour, but I am partial to the Stout. In Dublin for a way to get a look at the city's touristy attractions the hop on hop off bus works very well, and Guinness is one of the stops.
http://www.dublinbus.ie/sightseeing/cityTour.aspx

There is plenty to do in Dublin, I have never flown into Shannon so I dont have much advice there. However, if you like a medievil type feast in a castle, Bunratty has a nice feast also stop in Durty Nellies just outside the castle for a pint. The Blarney Castle and Stone are near Cork all an easy drive from Shannon. I like the Waterford crystal factory tour in Waterford. Wicklow also to the south of Dublin is known for its beauty. North of Dublin check out Knoth and the 5000 year old passage tomb at New Grange.

Ireland has changed a lot in the last 10 years or so. I normally go in October or early April. I always have fun, good craic!

Good luck!

Durty Nellies is pretty fun. Right across from that is another local pub as well. I didnt get a chance to check out Bunratty castle though but I will do that next time. Durty Nellies has some pretty good food....fish chowder was pretty good and fresh.

Latest resources

Back