Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G-Stream

The truth changes
Im looking at going into the part time contract pilot world as an alternative to the airlines and fractionals.

Could anyone out there with experience in this arena please throw a few pearls of wisdom my way on things like, taxes, contracts, training, developing clientel, pro's and con's, and what ever else you think I might need to know.

Thanks all.

I have been looking at that option the past month. Still no luck...PM me and I will send you something that you may be intersted in. Looking at your profile you look like a military guy.

I've been flying contract since June. It's feast or famine. I've made a killing flying for 26 days in one months, but only three days the next month. I pretty much make more money on a contract basis, but I've yet to pay for any of my own training which I know a lot of contract guys do. Don't know if this helps, but I figured I would share my experiences.

Contract Work

I have some limited experience in Citations. Good daily pay. Uncertain annual earnings. Sometimes a good way to a full-time position. Definately a good way to learn about a flight department without a full time commitment. Unfortunately my full time job has made it difficult lately. Overall, a good experience. PM me if you have questions.

The people I've talked to say the real killer (especially with bigger planes) is the training. FSI is rapin...er, charging people $30k for a recurrent on the GV.

Good luck all.TC

The people I've talked to say the real killer (especially with bigger planes) is the training.

Basically, sucks if full-time. It's the same, large or small. You charge more in the larger equipment, but the training and such eats into it. You must figure in taxes, SSI, single business/small business taxes, health insurance, association fees, and on and on.
I've been doing some contract between full-time gigs (Citation and King Air), and it's indeed feast-or-famine. Plus some of the employers tend to look down on you. I even had one ask, "Why aren't you full-time?" I felt like saying, "Cause you're such a cheap pr*ck who won't hire a full-time pilot, that's why." But, being the diplomat I am, I bit my tongue. Did I mention the chance of being used by bottom-feeders is higher?

Don't forget about long-term overseas contract work. Check out IASCO,HACS, WASINC, and Parc.

There is good employment on the Airbus, as far as the tax question goes, depends on the contract, is it tax free, or tax paid salary. My information is that I can bring 78K into the states tax free, maybe more if you are out of the country for more than 330 days at a time.

Be sure to get some contact numbers or email addresses of pilots already on the contract you are interested in, remember that the contract itself is probably not worth the paper it's written on. If hired, save as much as possible, when the economic climate changes, you will be on the street, plan ahead for that day. The best conditions seem to be with Japanese operators like JAL and ANA. Good luck.

I did some contract work last summer in a Cessna 340 and 421 and was making 300 a trip, and 200/night for any over night trips with all expenses paid for. Since it was a 340, and 421 I didn't need any hardcore training, but I got one of my customers to pay for some SimComm training in the 421 and it made it easier to get insured on any twin Cessna so it made it easier to get a flight. There were weeks when I was making no money, and weeks when I was taking in 1800-2000. The best part is you can choose whether you want to fly or not and if you say no I'm not available, you're not going to get canned... the drawbacks are that you never know when you're going to be working a lot, a little or not at all. That's my experience anyways.

CDogg said:
I did some contract work last summer in a Cessna 340 and 421 and was making 300 a trip, and 200/night for any over night trips with all expenses paid for. Since it was a 340, and 421 I didn't need any hardcore training, but I got one of my customers to pay for some SimComm training in the 421 and it made it easier to get insured on any twin Cessna so it made it easier to get a flight. There were weeks when I was making no money, and weeks when I was taking in 1800-2000. The best part is you can choose whether you want to fly or not and if you say no I'm not available, you're not going to get canned... the drawbacks are that you never know when you're going to be working a lot, a little or not at all. That's my experience anyways.

If you know how to sell yourself then you can do very well in anything you do!

If one needs to venture out rember to keep saying to yourself "If it's to be it's up to me"

Latest resources

Back