• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

100-1/2

OVER-N-DUN!
Andy,

First let me acknowledge and give many thanks to your professionalism in contribution to this venue. After perusing this board for some time now, it is amazing to me that any individual looking for quality and security in a company's cockpit would discount your praise for Skywest and opt for {greener?} pastures. I hope to join the ranks with many past friends I have there after successfully accomplishing an interview later this month.

I have a couple of questions for you if you can help.

First, the Skywest Website indicates receipt of 3 CRJ's per month through January 2004, with the majority destined with United Express colors. When were these orders placed; Pre/Post 9/11? or with knowledge of the recent UAL financial woes? Is this still current and if so, does this mean considerable expansion to Denver based UAL ops? or will they primarily be replacing the Brasilia's out West; First? In all data considerations, it would seem the Props are still perfect for the short-hop route structure of Northern and Socal while the CRJ's tend to be cheaper the longer and higher they are able to cruise.

Is there a Scope Clause that could affect how much Express Service Skywest picks-up from UAL Mainline routes? I have no concern with regard to Skywest Career Security. However, I could imagine being a "Lower Management Flight Crew" that was Sold-Out by "Higher Management" last week by salary cuts and still threatened with furlough because a bunch of mainline work went to cheaper labor.

And Alas, I received an interview offer in response to my online application a couple of weeks ago. I do not believe it inquired as to the disposition of my current or most recent employer. Most recently, the CP's Office {Politics} retaliated at my demand for some accountability and integrity with respect to Company/Department Policy. Some hairs were split to justify my termination. The Skywest application and records requests allow an opportunity for this employer to slander my character and even though they have stated they wouldn't submit this info, the SKW App specifically asks for it? Am I Sunk? I know the whole speel, Be Up Front, Honest, clear, concise and put a positive spin on it an tell how the experience has seasoned me professionally (it feels like it has soiled me). I have done this and always been a great interview candidate. Before this experience and until recently, I have gotten every Job I have ever Interviewed for. Should being terminated from my previous flying job have been considered in the initial filtering process? If so am I wasting the interviewers time? I recently interviewed with another Class Act Company after successfully completing many screening stages where I readily disclosed my status. It seemed their minds were already made up as, this suprising fact that someone failed to recognize received more attention than my experience, abilities and knowledge during an abreviated interview opportunity.

I appreciate your insight as to if I hold my fate in my own hands or not. If you need background detail I can share that with you directly, otherwise I think the rest of this info should prove helpful to someone.

Thanks,
100-1/2

Last edited:
First, thanks for the kind words. I have been using Bill Mosteller of Delta as an example trying to be as helpful and informative about SkyWest doings as he was about what was going on at Delta.

The CRJ delivery schedule shown on the SkyWest website pretty much reflects the orders placed in 2000, I believe. There have been some minor upward adjustments (most of them in the months past as opposed to the upcoming couple of years). There have been more adjustments and remaining uncertainty in the Brasilia retirement plans. More on that later. I would guess that the majority of the United Express deliveries will be covering Denver flights with others used on the west coast.

The United pilot contract does have a scope clause which impacts on future CRJ delieries at SkyWest. If it remains intact, SkyWest would be required to turn in more Brasilias in order to accept future CRJ deliveries for United Express because the scope clause allows unlimited CRJs on a 1:1 bassis for turbo-prop turn ins. If United and their pilot groups negotiate an adjustment in the current scope clause, SkyWest and other UE carriers would have more wiggle room in accepting UE CRJ deliveries.

Let me address the notion of being sold out to cheaper labor. Currently, the average cost per ASM at SkyWest is in the neighborhood of 15-18 cents while LUV has costs of roughly 7 cents and United's and Delta's costs are in the neighborhood of 12 cents. The only time it would make economic sense to give mainline flying to the regional carriers is when load factors on the mainline's smaller aircraft are falling below 50%.

Now as to the impact of remarks from your previous employer - as you mentioned, it will certainly make for some interesting interview discussion. It would be a real stretch to say that you are categorically sunk. A mental exercise you might want to go through before the interview is to ask yourself what you would do if you felt SkyWest was not keeping its promises in the Policy Manual that affected you as a pilot. Would you do anything differently here than you did elsewhere?

Attitude in the interview is going to be critically important. A good number of recent candidates were shown the door largely due to passive interest in working for SkyWest or the notion that SkyWest would be receiving a boon with the candidate's employment for a time. The interview team would like to feel the love.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back