• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

And why is foreign ownership bad...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you guys are talking my speed- capitalism pure and simple- a pilot job is respected worldwide- cost of living is evening out around the world and that's a good thing- i don't think we'd do that bad either- we've been taking it in the shorts for a while now...

but i find most of you funny, i change the subject to our own career and ya'll run scared- I say enter the free market and do away w/ seniority governed careers and i get an earfull from everyone-- hence my NSL speeches...(ie: it's a If you sit, sit, if you stand, stand, whatever you do- don't wobble- thing)

-not proposing doing away w/ unions- just their role would change to lobbying gov't and SETTING STANDARDS-- then let us each decide how much we're willing to do this for-I can negotiate for me better than anyone else, and then i don't have to worry about baby-boomers selling me out- the market is the market= my guess... since they need ALL of us to fly, but only 20-40% of us will stand strong-- in a free market we'll do better-- bc the weak among us ARE weak... until they see the 20-40% get better $$ for the same job... then they'll rise up... Collective bargaining w/ our government working against it just hasn't held up in it's current form... We're all working for below a market wage bc we're scared to death of losing our "seniority-security blanket"... it's why Corporate pilots live better for 1/4 the work. If you're at a legacy, how secure do you feel w/ our current system? Yet we still do the bulk of the flying in this country...

just thinking out loud-- and knowing-- like fuel=- if the free market demanded pilots get paid more- they would do it w/o blinking-- but when a union forces it on them... everyone is galvanized to work against it... Think how much union resources could be used to lobby for higher standards and rest rules/safety if they didn't have to work on contracts--Those higher standards would then be used by us in negotiations for ourselves- unions could still provide contract services to each of us-- templates for industry standards etc...

then i realize this is falling on deaf and probably angry ears.....

Why would an Indian, Chinese, etc. pilot come work in the US? Those guys start off their airline career in a 737 or bigger and probably making more money in their home country. Especially if you compare their pay to the cost of living. I tell they guys I fly with in Japan what first year pilots make in the US and they think that I am joking.

No one is going to leave their home unless you pay them enough to do it and that ain't gonna happen in the US anytime soon. Hell, I am American and I don't have any desire to come back and work there.

What has happened in the EU? Turkey and other former soviet bloc countries are now full members of the EU with the right to work in any of the other EU countries. I have yet to hear an Air France flight with a Turkish, German, Italian, Dutch accent. KLM and AF are "foreign owned" companies and how many French pilots are on the seniority list at KLM and vice versa?

Use the Toyota plant for example. How many Japanese people are working in the factories? Maybe a few managers but the workers are all American. I am from Alabama and when the Mercedes plant opened, there was no flood of German or other migrant workers to take the jobs. In fact, it created many fine jobs for Americans with a successful global company.

Just because we allow successful companies to have control and ownership of our airlines doesn't mean that we will have a flood of cheap labor pouring in. You will however, open the airlines up to a management pool that has been much more successful than our own.

yes- but i think the concern is w/ how portable our jobs are... there's really no reason foreign pilots couldn't just flow through from mexico or central/south america spend 4-5 days flying domestic routes here and fly home.

that's the fear anyway

Foreign ownership? Before long domestic crews will be staged out of India and paid 35 cents/hour!

WHAT?????????????????????

Do you sir have any Idea about how much pilots are being paid in India? They have direct entry captain position in India that pay a LOT more than any 12 year seniority legacy captain in the US. Wake up people, and find out what is happening in the international pilot market before you make stupid comments like that

How many domestic flights are there inside the USA every day? What airline would have the crews to spare to do that flying? Since the don't have the right to work in the US, they have to start a trip from outside of the US. I dont see how they are going to get the pilots in the country to do that. Are they going to fly plane loads in every day from outside of the US to start trips? Are they going to flood the US with new international routes to get the crews in? I dont know how many flights per day Mexico to the US would support, but i doubt it is enough to start covering domestic legs.

You might lose some legs, but you will also gain revenue opportunities in the other countries. You also open the airlines up to a huge influx of badly needed capital and leadership.

Why in gods name would an airline want to pay the cost to get the crews in the US to fly a domestic route in the US anyway??? (since they cant live here) They yields are so bad that US carriers don't even want to fly them.

How many domestic flights are there inside the USA every day? What airline would have the crews to spare to do that flying? Since the don't have the right to work in the US, they have to start a trip from outside of the US. I dont see how they are going to get the pilots in the country to do that. Are they going to fly plane loads in every day from outside of the US to start trips? Are they going to flood the US with new international routes to get the crews in? I dont know how many flights per day Mexico to the US would support, but i doubt it is enough to start covering domestic legs.

You might lose some legs, but you will also gain revenue opportunities in the other countries. You also open the airlines up to a huge influx of badly needed capital and leadership.

Why in gods name would an airline want to pay the cost to get the crews in the US to fly a domestic route in the US anyway??? (since they cant live here) They yields are so bad that US carriers don't even want to fly them.
Thank god you are a pilot, and not a politician or CEO, you can skrew up an airplane one at a time and not entire companies or countries.

Heard this is a crew lounge:
China has 1 billion people, lets say 1/10th of 1% can fly a plane and speak english. Most of them will be able to work for $2.00 a day in their current environment. Lets say all our favorite CEO J.O. goes to China, and starts training those guys/gals. He offers them the opportunity to make $15,000 per year flying planes in the USA 6 months a year. For 6 months they come to america and live in a company owned apartment 6 to a room(sounds like a crash pad) and fly the line. Then they go home and work in the training/ recruiting centers finding and training new pilots in a country with billions of people. Time to go to the US, hop a flight and hit the sim center 3 days prior to report for service to requal and settle in. Instead of 3-4 day trips they have 6 month trips. All this needs is for politicians to allow legislation for foreign workers to legally work on US soil, and it will be sold by the industry because they cant get enough US pilots to work for 15,000 a year. Throw in the ability of a Chinese government owned airline to secure oil futures and the US airline industry will be in trouble.
PBR

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back