Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

"v"

Hey there!

Anyone have any idea what aircraft the new LCC airline partnered with ANA will use when they commence ops later next year?

Imagine they will hire a significant number of expats?

V

Very little is known about this venture, even for us folks working here but they will start operations with 737's and eventually work their way to international operations at the beginning using 777's from mainline ANA for what we understand. For a while it was speculated that they would interview displaced JAL pilots but things have changed significantly in the Japan jobs market from even a few months ago, first JAL's recovery is going better than expected so we will probably see revised displacements numbers from JAL in the next few months (only my opinion of course) and other companies like Skymark are growing quite a bit and they will absorb those displaced pilots and even require to hire more. My point is that the pilots for this venture will most likely be ex pats, and ANA did publish a press release where they said that it was going to be crewed by foreign pilots. I don't know yet which contract agency will handle the hiring though, If I hear something else I will let folks know.

Very little is known about this venture, even for us folks working here but they will start operations with 737's and eventually work their way to international operations at the beginning using 777's from mainline ANA for what we understand. For a while it was speculated that they would interview displaced JAL pilots but things have changed significantly in the Japan jobs market from even a few months ago, first JAL's recovery is going better than expected so we will probably see revised displacements numbers from JAL in the next few months (only my opinion of course) and other companies like Skymark are growing quite a bit and they will absorb those displaced pilots and even require to hire more. My point is that the pilots for this venture will most likely be ex pats, and ANA did publish a press release where they said that it was going to be crewed by foreign pilots. I don't know yet which contract agency will handle the hiring though, If I hear something else I will let folks know.

thanks dp!

Ummm, no...they are using Airbus. It will be manned by foreign pilots. Read this in the Japanese paper so it must be true.

i read japanese and saw in a periodical that they plan on using 737s based abroad elsewhere in asia with expat crews to save on $$. something about a deal with japanese ANA crews being guaranteed job security.

Update

ANA Budget Carrier to Operate 16 Planes in 4 Years
By Wendy Leung and Kiyotaka Matsuda - Jan 17, 2011 8:52 PM ET

inShare
More Print Email
All Nippon Airways Co.’s planned low-cost airline will operate 16 planes within four years as it targets rising travel between Japan and China, according to partner Victor Chu.

The new carrier hopes to start flights to Chinese cities, possibly including Beijing, Shanghai and Zhejiang, as early as 2012, said Chu, whose First Eastern Investment Group will own a third of the company. A formal agreement to form the venture will be signed this month, he said today in an interview at a conference in Hong Kong.

The budget unit, to be based at Kansai International Airport in Osaka, will challenge Air China Ltd. and Japan Airlines Corp. on Chinese routes as rising wages stoke demand for overseas travel in the world’s most popular nation. About 1.35 million Chinese travelers visited Japan in the first 11 months of last year, making it the biggest market for inbound visitors after South Korea, according to the Japan National Tourism Organization.

The budget carrier, which will also fly within Japan, will likely operate Boeing Co. 737s or Airbus SAS A320s, Chu said. First Eastern, the Hong Kong-based company he founded, has stakes in more than 100 projects in China, including infrastructure and real-estate developments, according to an ANA statement in September.

Flights at the new airline will begin in the six months ended March, 2012, said Yoshifumi Miyake, a spokesman for Tokyo- based ANA. The carrier may have as many as 20 planes within five years, Miyake said. He declined to comment on possible routes, saying that the new company will decide on operations.

All Nippon was unchanged at 305 yen at the close of trade in Tokyo today. The airline has risen 7 percent in the past year. First Eastern isn’t listed.

Japanese investors will about two-thirds of the new carrier, including a 39 percent stake to be held by ANA. Overseas investors aren’t allowed to own more than a third of Japanese airlines under local regulations.

CREW published this job opening that could very well be for this new venture but I don't know for sure.

https://tbe.taleo.net/NA7/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=HACS&cws=2&rid=21

Last edited:
Hate to say I told you so, but...

Japanese low-cost carrier A&F Aviation Co, set up by All Nippon Airways (9202.T) and a Hong Kong investor, has chosen the Airbus (EAD.PA) A320 to launch its service this year, Airbus said in a statement on Monday.

The service is expected to start from Kansai International Airport in Osaka, western Japan, Airbus said.

The new carrier said earlier this month it hopes to start flights from Kansai to destinations within three to four hours' flying time in the latter half of the business year that starts on April 1. [ID:nTWKADE78W]

ANA, Japan's second-biggest carrier, said in September it would start a low-cost carrier to fly between Japan and China in partnership with Hong Kong-based private equity firm First Eastern Investment Group. [ID:nTOE68807K]

First Eastern, run by influential businessman Victor Chu, will be the second-largest shareholder in the budget airline behind ANA. (Reporting by Junko Fujita; Editing by Michael Watson)

Latest resources

Back