Ameriflight Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyboy32482

Wondering what the Quality of Life is like AmeriFlight? I am currently working for a 135 on a Carivan and when I leave here I will have the IFR 135 MINS meet. My ME time is 75 hrs and I am wondering if I would be able to get a job with AMF? Do they offer jobs in a captain position with those mins? Is it single or multi crew? I would like to get my 1000 hrs multi turbine PIC and then maybe find some other place to camp out at. Can AMF help with this? Thanks for the info!

I don't work for AMF, but I have some close friends who do. They seem to like it overall (descent pay, treated well, and so on) If you have the 135 mins and 75 multi I am sure they would consider you for a Navajo spot. If you are willing to move around I know you can get quickly upgraded to a BE99 and then a 1900 or Metro in a fairly short period of time.

The only things that they fly with a crew are the Brasilia and the Lear.

Their guys/gals have gone/go to all sorts of Majors

Last edited:
I think AMF has seen better days... I spent 3 years there and just got out in Feb. Morale seems to be at an all time low.

I enjoyed my time there, however, and was fortunate to move through aircraft types rather quickly. You will most likely get hired in the Chieftain, however, as mentioned, if you are willing to move around you will move through the various airplanes quickly. I found myself in a Metro within a year and the left seat in the Brasilia for my last year there.

Quality of time is excellent, job stability is fairly good considering the economy, and the pay isn't that bad. Go with a positive attitude and tell yourself it is only a short term job for something better and you will do fine. If you are hoping for an excellent QOL and management that loves you, then you will be disappointed.

I gave them 3 years and they gave me two types, +1000 hours turbine PIC, and a job at a major. Enjoy it for what it is and be flexible!

I know I've complained a lot about working here, but in the end, I'm still here... There's a lot of places that are better to work, but there's also a lot of places that are worse to work. Its probably the best of the UPS Feeders from what I've seen.

You're home every night, but you'll be bored out of your mind in no time by the lack of variety in the places you fly. I don't know how the outstation people, that fly the same run every day, do it.

I've been here since Oct of 06 and now have my 1000 TPIC and a type rating. Not too bad for 19 months. But definitly not a place you're going to rack up time real fast.

Moral in SLC seems to be up a bit, especially for the Metro drivers since we actually have enought people to only work 3-4 days a week. The 99 people are workin about the same 3-4 days a week, but the ones who are going to be waiting to upgrade will be waiting a while for an upgrade since I don't think any of the Metro pilots are leaving anytime real soon and the upgrades have stopped.

Well put Morretis, exept I disagree on the outstation part, you either love it or hate it. Factor in the wife and kids and that it's just a job (you only do 2 legs a day anyway), and outstation life can be very appealing.

I know I've complained a lot about working here, but in the end, I'm still here... There's a lot of places that are better to work, but there's also a lot of places that are worse to work. Its probably the best of the UPS Feeders from what I've seen.

You're home every night, but you'll be bored out of your mind in no time by the lack of variety in the places you fly. I don't know how the outstation people, that fly the same run every day, do it.

I've been here since Oct of 06 and now have my 1000 TPIC and a type rating. Not too bad for 19 months. But definitly not a place you're going to rack up time real fast.

Moral in SLC seems to be up a bit, especially for the Metro drivers since we actually have enought people to only work 3-4 days a week. The 99 people are workin about the same 3-4 days a week, but the ones who are going to be waiting to upgrade will be waiting a while for an upgrade since I don't think any of the Metro pilots are leaving anytime real soon and the upgrades have stopped.
Glad to here that SLC is maintaining a 4 day schedule, unlike BFI. I found out that arguably the best base in the AMF system has retrenched and put all their pilots on a 5 day schedule despite the fact they're "fat" on pilots. Oh dear, this will just lead to the mass exodus when things turn around.

Last edited:
I was at the Red Bull air races in San Diego last weekend and saw an ameriflight pilot who was soooo proud and stoked on the company, he was walking around with his uniform on. no seriously, for reals. I was going to take a picture but I stood in disbelief for too long and lost him in the crowd. If you do end up at ameriflight, its a decent gig. Just don't go to pdx if plan on staying for more than your year committment or have hopes and dreams of upgrading by the time the next new president finishes their first term. And for god sakes, don't be that guy at the air races. ever.

I was at the Red Bull air races in San Diego last weekend and saw an ameriflight pilot who was soooo proud and stoked on the company, he was walking around with his uniform on. no seriously, for reals. I was going to take a picture but I stood in disbelief for too long and lost him in the crowd.

Haha! I'm pretty sure I know exactly who you are talking about... His famous quote is "I bleed blue and white". Glad he's happy!

How could you tell that he was an AMF pilot without the blue shirt? I always liked the blue shirts better. Didn't show the grease and oil of the 99 as much.
Seriously though, AMF was great for me. The pay was always decent, and it was about as stable as you can get in a flying job. For some people stability can equal boredom, but it worked for me. Maybe that's why I was there so long (longer than I'll admit here).
Like anything, it's what you make of it. You can choose to be happy or not. I think it wouldn't be a bad place to hang out while things aren't going so well elsewhere. It would have to get really bad before the freight stops flowing.

Grease and Oil?

That's only if you missed the memo!

Landing Check list, Shirt and Tie on.

PS. don't forget, put the flip floops away.

Latest resources

Back