Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

time builder

Here's one that happened to my friend the other day:

Say you're flying VFR single engine, based out of a Class D within a mode C veil of a Class B. You're coming back when your alternator takes a dump. You didn't catch it until late in the flight, when you start losing electrical power. No radios, no transponder, what do you do?
You can't squak 7600, you can't establish radio communications, can you really treat it as an emergency and land at a class D without being repremended. Or, is it a safer call to land at a class G 15 miles down the road, and call for a ride or a mechanic to rescue you, fearing the retribution of the company for leaving an airplane stranded.

I had a similar situation a couple years ago out of class B. My circumstances led me to a different solution, however. How would you handle it?

Where exactly is the emergency? Since when has a radio failure under day VFR been an emergency? (Sorta makes you wonder what those of us who learned to fly in aircraft without radios or electrical systems did, doesn't it?).

What does the AIM tell you to do? (AIM 4-2-13, 4-3-13).

4-2-13. Communications with Tower when Aircraft Transmitter or Receiver or Both are Inoperative

a. Arriving Aircraft.

1. Receiver inoperative.
(a) If you have reason to believe your receiver is inoperative, remain outside or above the Class D surface area until the direction and flow of traffic has been determined; then, advise the tower of your type aircraft, position, altitude, intention to land, and request that you be controlled with light signals.

REFERENCE
AIM, Traffic Control Light Signals, Paragraph 4-3-13.

(b) When you are approximately 3 to 5 miles from the airport, advise the tower of your position and join the airport traffic pattern. From this point on, watch the tower for light signals. Thereafter, if a complete pattern is made, transmit your position downwind and/or turning base leg.

2. Transmitter inoperative. Remain outside or above the Class D surface area until the direction and flow of traffic has been determined; then, join the airport traffic pattern. Monitor the primary local control frequency as depicted on Sectional Charts for landing or traffic information, and look for a light signal which may be addressed to your aircraft. During hours of daylight, acknowledge tower transmissions or light signals by rocking your wings. At night, acknowledge by blinking the landing or navigation lights. To acknowledge tower transmissions during daylight hours, hovering helicopters will turn in the direction of the controlling facility and flash the landing light. While in flight, helicopters should show their acknowledgement of receiving a transmission by making shallow banks in opposite directions. At night, helicopters will acknowledge receipt of transmissions by flashing either the landing or the search light.

3. Transmitter and receiver inoperative. Remain outside or above the Class D surface area until the direction and flow of traffic has been determined; then, join the airport traffic pattern and maintain visual contact with the tower to receive light signals. Acknowledge light signals as noted above.

b. Departing Aircraft. If you experience radio failure prior to leaving the parking area, make every effort to have the equipment repaired. If you are unable to have the malfunction repaired, call the tower by telephone and request authorization to depart without two-way radio communications. If tower authorization is granted, you will be given departure information and requested to monitor the tower frequency or watch for light signals as appropriate. During daylight hours, acknowledge tower transmissions or light signals by moving the ailerons or rudder. At night, acknowledge by blinking the landing or navigation lights. If radio malfunction occurs after departing the parking area, watch the tower for light signals or monitor tower frequency.

You should not enter Class B airspace in this condition. If you are already in Class B airspace and can exit, you might be better to do so, especially if the airspace is busy, particularly if your destination is the primary airport. Make a phone call and then proceed as ATC directs. However, if you're outside Class B and headed for Class D, go to the airport, enter the traffic pattern, look for a light gun signal, and land. No need to pray to the holy E-word gods, declaring that plague and pestilance has arrived in the form of a deadly communications failure. No need to fear a loss of your career. It's a routine operation. Just land. Not a big deal.

Last edited:
time builder said:
can you really treat it as an emergency and land at a class D without being reprimanded.
I agree with avbug. It's not an emergency, but you are authorized to land at the Class D without being reprimanded by using the procedures authorized by the FAR and further described in the AIM.

There is one thing in which I disagree a bit with Avbug's post:
(Sorta makes you wonder what those of us who learned to fly in aircraft without radios or electrical systems did, doesn't it?).
I think there's a difference between an airplane that was designed and manufactured without radios or an electrical system and an aircraft with an electrical system that inexplicably goes bad.

15 miles away in an airplane flying perfectly fine in VFR doesn't sound too bad to me.

Kinda like the guy near where I am, who tried to stop on the runway because his alternator light came on just as he reached Vr in a single engine cessna. He tried to stop, and ended up in a ravine.

Can't second guess him, but can learn from his incident and try not to repeat it.

Do what avbug said...then send in your NASA report for losing your transponder in the mode-c veil.

Will anything come of it? Probably not...just land (following ATC's light signals, of course). Not a big deal.

-mini

Sending an ASRS report is never a bad idea, although there's no reason for enforcement action in the scenario described. Certainly your input might be useful for other readers.

I think there's a difference between an airplane that was designed and manufactured without radios or an electrical system and an aircraft with an electrical system that inexplicably goes bad.

What's the difference between an aircraft that has never had a radio, and one with a failed radio, with respect to towered operations? None. What's the difference between an aircraft with no electrical system, and one with a failed electrical system, with respect to communications? None.

Light gun signals work both ways. I've used light gun signals in a J-4 cub, and light gun signals in a Lear 35A. Was there a difference? No.

Must remain clear of mode C veil.

Remain clear of Class B without a clearance, excepting a specific need to enter which outweighs the requirement to stay out. You may operate outside class B but within the "veil" with the commo/electrical failure in the manner previously described. If you are already within the "veil," then you do not need to divert and exit; continue to your destination and land, as described.

avbug said:
What's the difference between an aircraft with no electrical system, and one with a failed electrical system, with respect to communications?
Something not broken vs something broken. I'm not prepared to make the assumption that the cause of the failed electrical system is benign and that the only result will continue to be a loss of communication.

I'm sure you have far greater knowledge of aircraft electrical systems than I do. You may be prepared to make the assumption that everything is fine; I am not.

Now that does =not= mean I think it's an emergency; just that a pilot who has a system failure is justified in feeling more concerned about it than if the aircraft didn't have the system to begin with.

avbug said:
Sending an ASRS report is never a bad idea, although there's no reason for enforcement action in the scenario described. Certainly your input might be useful for other readers.

Oh my Gosh! Do we agree on something?

*stomping on floor and looking down* "Gettin cold down there?" :D

-mini

I had this happen to one of my students on his first solo X-C. His alternator failed probably outside the veil and he didn't realize it until he lost his GPS, then radios then transponder, etc., inside the veil. He was in the LAS mode C veil and with his fuel remaining didn't have many options. He proceeded direct to the airport got his green light and landed. Going direct to the airport was the safest thing for him to do given his remaining fuel. We called tower and they told him he did a great job and it was the right thing for him to do. That was it. No 709 ride for me.

Latest resources

Back