ALPA or Nothing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bonds73

In recent posts, it has been argued that a National Regional Pilot Union would be bad for the industry. I wonder how many of these opinions came from pilots currently flying for ALPA represented regionals. No one can deny that this industry is fundamentally changing and that regionals are at the core of this change. With regionals wielding more and more power every day, their pilot unions interests remain conflicted. Why is the idea of a National Regional Pilot Union getting this cold response? It was recently posted:

"You could never generate the funds needed to provide what ALPA provides. Not to mention there would be a long and arduous struggle to gain the respenct ALPA has gained in its 70+ years history. Bad idea."

Didn't ALPA have to start somewhere? Wasn't the revenue it could garner (at least at the beginning) pennies in comparison to their competitor unions? (Teamsters)?

The fact is, the need now exists for a national voice for regional pilots. Contrary to the opinions of most Major Airline pilots, many regional pilots are choosing to stay at their regionals for a career. Regionals are quickly losing their "stepping stone to the majors" stereotype.

If in-house unions can be successfull (Southwest, Frontier) then why can't a united union of regional pilots be just as successfull.

I am perplexed by this notion that it's ALPA or Nothing.

In reality, there is no reason whatever why a national union for regional pilots could not succeed. It could and if there is a will it can be created with relative ease.

Financially, it could also be funded adequately. Granted it would not be as rich as ALPA, but ALPA does a lot of things that are "nice" but not really necessary for adequate representation. With proper leadership, it is financially viable. Note that most regional MEC's currently in ALPA only recieve about 1/2 of their dues to be used for representation. The rest funds ALPA national.

From my point of view, the question is not really whether it is "feasible". Is it practical and the best thing to do right now?

If asked that question today, I think most of the pilots at my airline would say NO. That is because those pilots are attempting to achieve reforms in ALPA. If they succeed, they will stay. If they fail, they might adopt a different position. If they did leave right now, it would make reform impossible.

ALPA has many benefits. The Safety structure is among the best of those. Aeromedical is another big plus. Political clout is big, but never used on behalf of regional pilots (with the exception of the One Level of Safety campaign - introduced by a regional pilot). The safety stuff can for the most part be duplicated. The Aeromedical can't be duplicated but could be purchased. Other ALPA tools are also for sale. Many of the benefits could actually be retained at a cost, others could be replaced.

Fear of change is perhaps the biggest obstacle, but it is definitely doable if that is what the pilots want.

I'm not advocating it, just commenting. I'm not against it either. Timing is the key.

Latest resources

Back