Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA files suit against NWA for bonus program!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

ALPA has filed a suit against NWA for implementing a bonus program -- which has payouts scheduled to employees. How does this many any sense?

ALPA has filed a suit against NWA for implementing a bonus program -- which has payouts scheduled to employees. How does this many any sense?

Think beating a dog then offering him a biscuit and then telling everyone you know what a animal lover you are and how you belong to the ASPCA abd then beating him again when no one is looking.

The basis is that the "Success Sharing Program" and the "Holiday Bonus" program were not in the contract. NWA defined the criteria and eligibility outside of collective bargaining. That has the MEC upset.

If NWA has the $$ to spread out among those who worked over the holidays, then they have the $$ to fix other things on our "To Do" list...such as lowering med/dental premiums or adjusting other contract items that are irritating us right now.

That said, we're probably barking in the wind...for two reasons:

1. The programs were available to ALL employees, including those without a contract (flight attendants) and non-contract employees. That will probably place both programs outside collective bargaining in the eyes of a judge. If either of the programs were specifically addressed by criteria established (or prohibited) within any of the contracts at NWA, then we might have a chance. I don't think they are.

2. Past practice. In the mid-90's, NWA gave away a bunch of Ford Explorers to employees who didn't miss work over the holidays. ALPA never grieved it. That will be a tough thing to explain when the question, "Why didn't you grieve it back then?" comes up.

I can see both sides of this issue, but I don't think a judge will.

LMAO wow ALPA wastes money to file a lawsuit for getting FREE MONEY? Wow what a good use of your dues, NOT! I am so glad we don't have to pay dues at our airline. what a freaking joke

LMAO wow ALPA wastes money to file a lawsuit for getting FREE MONEY? Wow what a good use of your dues, NOT! I am so glad we don't have to pay dues at our airline. what a freaking joke

You just don't get it, do you.

Go back to the kid's table and let the big boys figure this one out on their own.

It's a bit more complicated than that, considering the billions in concessions unions have had to make since 911. But you knew that before you posted, didn't you?

You don't pay dues at your airline because your management is trying desperately to keep unions out. Meanwhile you benefit from collective bargaining raising the bar (or trying desperately to keep it from falling further) at other carriers.

BTW, you're welcome.

Sounds like they are getting seriously POed. NWA ALPA has also served company notice that it is exercising it's right to terminate computer bidding (PBS) and go back to paper (line) bidding.

That will cripple staffing going into the busy summer months. Occam would have a better feel, but rumor has it that the DC-9 program has gotten in a jam, also due to staffing, and throughput is way, way down.

Good thing the MEC got management to let them cash out another %20 of the claim sale before they sent that letter. Additionally, the company has also filed its reorg plan, putting its cards (and financials) on the table.

All in all, a very well played 'Hail Mary' by NWAALPA. Let the company dig a hole with the staffing, talked them into a early payout, let them show their cards, and then kick 'em where it hurts.

Nu

You just don't get it, do you.

Go back to the kid's table and let the big boys figure this one out on their own.

Ya because turning down free money and wasting resources on getting them to stop giving the NWA pilots free money is really a good idea!! What are you going to do ask to give any free money that pilots got back? LOL if that is the case then ALPA really is as dumb as it seems.

It's a bit more complicated than that, considering the billions in concessions unions have had to make since 911. But you knew that before you posted, didn't you?

You don't pay dues at your airline because your management is trying desperately to keep unions out. Meanwhile you benefit from collective bargaining raising the bar (or trying desperately to keep it from falling further) at other carriers.

BTW, you're welcome.

Yes they are doing everything they can to keep a union away which is a good thing. So they give billions in concessions and now they turn down free money. Ya that really makes sense lol. BTW Thank you for your help. We are glad to take any help we can get at avoiding paying union dues.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like the NWA ALPA guys are trying to get a greater long term benefit from manegement IE reduction in healthcare payout, insurance, etc. rather than a 1 time, short term gain. If that's the case then I say it's an excellent use of ALPA dues money, and not a waste at all.

HN, you think WAY too short term!

Peace.

Rekks

Sounds to me like the NWA ALPA guys are trying to get a greater long term benefit from manegement IE reduction in healthcare payout, insurance, etc. rather than a 1 time, short term gain. If that's the case then I say it's an excellent use of ALPA dues money, and not a waste at all.

HN, you think WAY too short term!

Peace.

Rekks

EXACTLY!!!

Oh yeah, another thing that unions help with: Not flying 90 seat airplanes for the same pay as your 50 seat airplanes. Thanks for helping the rest of the industry hold the line.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back