Allegheny New Crew Base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

Alg will open LGA as a base in may 03. New bid with 6 fo and 6 capts in lga for may. Pike letter to pilots says it will increase size as summer goes on. Also ABE will close in June. Thats all for now.

"ABE closing?! Gonna be a lot of unhappy senior people in ABE.

sayagain?"

Yeah many pissed off. Most thought that if they closed ABE that Philly would open so they would just drive there, no big deal. But LGA thats a hellish drive from the bucks county/lehigh valley area. What else do they have BGM (3 hr drive), SCE (sce most likely next on the choppin block/3.5 hour drive), SYR (4 hour drive) and MDT (way senior too). I suspect most will do MDT as alot of senior guys from Suburbin Airlines live in Reading. Since Mesaup signed their TA they will get any new RJ flying in PHL so say goodbye to that being a base. Yep many pissed, and they thout last month performance numbers were bad, just wait. Yep spend 20, 30 plus years here and what do they give you in return? A giant stick and anal probin.

Also the bid for may shows 11 capt slots going away between SYR, SCE and MDT. With only 6 slots for capt in LGA. Thats a net loss of 5 capts or one aircraft. This goes with the reduction in the "J4J threat letter" the came out in the summer of 2002. So by the end of the year we will be down to 30 or 31 aircraft according to the sked in the "J4J threat letter". This will put around 150 pilots on furlough by then. Guess we'll have to work for Mesaup.

Learlove, I heard from a friend that ALG has a total of 14 vacancy positions as of 5-01. 6 capt. and 8 FO. There ar 11 Capt. positions being eliminated which means that 5 captans will be downgraded. Put them into the 8 FO positions and that still leaves 3 fo positions open. Do you think they will fill the remaining 3 positions with new hires?

3 slots for fo's thats what it looks like to me. honestly I don't know what they will do. They probibly don't know either.

The bid is titled:

"Position Vacancy / Reduction Bulletin #03-02, Effective May 1,"

notice the word REDUCTION in there. I'm not sure if it refers to the capt slots that are going away or for overall furloughs. I know its not want you want to hear but if it looks like $hit and smells Like $hit then it must be.....

just a thought......If they don't fill the slots with guys from the street it confirms my suspision that more reductions/furloughs are in store for this summer in accordance with the 3rd post here.

I noticed also in the letter how management claims that a large portion of the deadheading will be gone and costs will be significantly lower etc etc. First off the ABE crews dont spend much if anytime deadheading to and fro LGA so that is BS and the only money saved will be hotels in LGA wich will be partially defrayed with additional hotel costs in ABE. Without a completely different route structure ie jets, this wont make much of a differance in costs. That is except all us poor souls in ABE that now have to face a drive to LGA crossing bridges and paying 8 bucks in tolls everyday not to mention a hotel stay that will probably be over $100 if you commute. Look out the next time they close the city down because the national color code changes. Or maybe the FO's can take their 25 grand a year salary (thanks Dave) and move to NYC, I understand it should not be a problem getting an apartment for 30 to 35 grand a year, heck you would only have to borrow 10 grand to keep your job.

I dont know, I will try BGM but as low on the totum poll I may not get it. It all depends of course on what happens to the 17 above me and where they go.

Will the LGA base be expanded fast enough to accomodate the ABE pilots? If not, what will happen to them? I'm still hoping for a new hire class. I am in line for it and would really love to join you guys flying for ALG.

The story I have is between 15 and 50 crews in LGA, dont hold me to that I dont know for sure if it is fact. I would imagine there would not be any furloughs in our immediate future IE the next few months but that also is just a guess. It all depends on if jets arrive in addition to how many dashes they park.

Latest resources

Back