Alaska Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Propnose

We are heading out to Ketchikan and Kenai Peninsula this coming week, and I heard that there were some Alaska specific regulations to follow. I searched the regs, but couldn't find anything. Would like to hear from anyone that has flown there before to see if I am missing anything.

Thanks,

Propnose

There are some local procedures, rules and lots of info on the web.
http://www.alaska.faa.gov/flytoak/OldFLTTIPS1.HTM - old but good
http://www.alaska.faa.gov/jnufsdo/ops.cfm - very important - there are numerous local procedures, freqs, patterns and things to watch out for
Get a current AFD for AK - in the special notices section there are many resources.

FYI:

Alaska Law:
AS 02.35.110. Emergency Rations and Equipment.

(a) An airman may not make a flight inside the state with an aircraft unless emergency equipment is carried as follows:

(1) the following minimum equipment must be carried during the summer months:

(A) rations for each occupant sufficient to sustain life for one week;

(B) one axe or hatchet;

(C) one first aid kit;

(D) an assortment of tackle such as hooks, flies, lines, and sinkers;

(E) one knife;

(F) fire starter;

(G) one mosquito headnet for each occupant;

(H) two small signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, railroad fuses, or Very pistol shells, in sealed metal containers;

(2) in addition to the equipment required under (1) of this subsection, the following must be carried as minimum equipment from October 15 to April 1 of each year:

(A) one pair of snowshoes;

(B) one sleeping bag;

(C) one wool blanket or equivalent for each occupant over four.

(b) However, operators of multi-engine aircraft licensed to carry more than 15 passengers need carry only the food, mosquito nets, and signalling equipment at all times other than the period from October 15 to April 1 of each year, when two sleeping bags, and one blanket for every two passengers shall also be carried. All of the above requirements as to emergency rations and equipment are considered to be minimum requirements which are to remain in full force and effect, except as further safety measures may be from time to time imposed by the department.

This is not an all inclusive list of resources - there is plenty more out there that needs to be looked at before one blasts off for the north.

Watch the weather.

Best of luck.

Bs

after packing all that shiat hope you have room for pax. did a stint flying 135 out of juneau, didnt really carry any of that (winter or summer). i would say you can be logical and efficient at the same time. it should be obvious what would be appropriate to carry. check out the current AFD. good luck

ps pick me up some alaskan pale ale

I flew in Alaska fora few years. We never carried hardly any of that stuff. I don't really remember why we didn't have to conform. . Other than that stuff, there is some special airspace stuff spelled out in the Alaska supplement. Shouldn't be much of a problem if you are IFR. . .

Latest resources

Back