Alaska and SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You actually disrespected your SWA "bros" with that statement

So you're one of the "staple is the only way" and " I came to SWA to upgrade in 5 years and that's not going to happen so I'll wear a chip on my shoulder for the rest of my career because it's all about me kinda guy". Got it.

Alaska isn't buying anybody.

Alaska is the most profitable major airline. They have been trying to get a 10% ROIC for years and they have finally got it. Purchasing another less profitable (as they all are) airline will only upset that business plan. Organic growth is a lot cheaper, more predictable, and a lot more fun then acquisitions.

As far as acquisitons go, the most "credible rumors" around here are that we were already talking to SWA about a merger before the AT deal and talks fell apart when our valuation passed 2 Billion. I guess AT at 1.4Billion seemed like a better deal.

And about SLI integration theories posted on this board...Alaska is THE closest airline to the pre-AT SWA in the industry hands down in terms of equipment, routes, pay...never mind...it's not worth it.

Alaska isn't buying anybody.

And about SLI integration theories posted on this board...Alaska is THE closest airline to the pre-AT SWA in the industry hands down in terms of equipment, routes, pay...never mind...it's not worth it.

Oh yeah, they both flew 737's, that's about where the similarity actually ends...

Unfortunately there are plenty of ways they can pull it off without money ever changing hands AND, we are all just along for the ride!
KBB

AK is much more forward thinking with their fleet, RNP, HUD
SWA also has RNP & the HUD. Additionally both airlines use Row44 for their inflight WiFi. Alaska & SWA are more alike than they are different.

Oh yeah, they both flew 737's, that's about where the similarity actually ends...

I didn't say they were the same...I said they were the closest. Name an airline that is more similar in things important to SLI.

SWA is all domestic, Alaska is mostly domestic.

Junior CA at Alaska is currently about 12 years...Junior CA at SWA is about 11.

Alaska 737 pilots are among the highest paid narrow body pilots in the industry, SWA 737 pilots are the highest paid narrow body pilots in the industry (not counting freighters).

Alaska flies slow but adopts technology fast. SWA flies fast but adopts technology slow.

Anyway...not the same...but hard to find an airline any closer.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back