• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska and SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA does not have good customer service, or loyalty? I don't think you know what you are talking about. Just saying. :)

I'm saying it's two different types of brand loyalty. SWA is perceived as a good bargain, that's what creates their loyalty. And yes I do think you take good care of your pax's, but it's a whole different type of operation than AK and operated in a completely different way. I don't see them being compatible at all. AK has a strong presence in the Northwest. A merger with SWA would kill that.

Walmart merging with Neiman Marcus..... grrrrrrrrreat!

That's not a bad analogy and it's what I was saying. Put the Walmart name on all the Neiman Marcus stores and they would lose a lot of business. That doesn't mean Walmart is bad or doesn't have it's place, it's just a whole different deal.

That's not a bad analogy and it's what I was saying. Put the Walmart name on all the Neiman Marcus stores and they would lose a lot of business. That doesn't mean Walmart is bad or doesn't have it's place, it's just a whole different deal.

Saw your A330 at the B6 terminal in JFK today. I think that WN is after domestic market share and AS would help with that and bring the tech savvy that WN lacks. Also every AS manager is ex Horizon (low cost), I think that WN will be morphing towards the AS model. Otherwise, they will eventually get overrun by the new LCCs that have a superior product. AS has commonality and would cause DAL a lot of grief. Plus our response might be to buy B6 and WN could capitalize on all of the NYC slot and gates that shake loose.

I'm saying it's two different types of brand loyalty. SWA is perceived as a good bargain, that's what creates their loyalty. And yes I do think you take good care of your pax's, but it's a whole different type of operation than AK and operated in a completely different way. I don't see them being compatible at all. AK has a strong presence in the Northwest. A merger with SWA would kill that.

I've heard the following hundreds of times over the past several years

"Southwest, oh we love flying southwest, they are by far the best airline to fly on. Everyone treats us so well and seems so happy"

Not once have I heard

"Southwest, we love flying southwest because its such a great bargain"

In fact, a lot of the time Southwest isn't the bargain deal on a certain route.

I love flying SWA! Most people I know like flying them because they are happy and customer focused....unless you are 300lbs and don't buy two seats! I kid. I think most know by now they are not always the cheapest game in town but McDonalds isn't always either. People go to McDonalds because they know what they are going to get and like it. Try being a military guy and flying on US Air out of Philly. Everytime ive been treated like crap. Night and day on the treatment.

I love flying SWA! Most people I know like flying them because they are happy and customer focused....unless you are 300lbs and don't buy two seats! I kid. I think most know by now they are not always the cheapest game in town but McDonalds isn't always either. People go to McDonalds because they know what they are going to get and like it. Try being a military guy and flying on US Air out of Philly. Everytime ive been treated like crap. Night and day on the treatment.

True dat! We do take care of our mil peeps

Ah, on that note I think AS has been around a hell of a lot longer than SW, Let's see AK= 1932 SW= 1971, about 40 yrs! Besides if there are any pilots that were hired in 1975 hanging around, they are probably getting around on their Little Rascle with the O2 tank attached!

AK is much more forward thinking with their fleet, RNP, HUD AOC datalink etc. SW is very resistant to change, look at their fleet. They are lobbying Boeing not to change the 737 too much, because it would affect the type rating! I'm sure SW is looking at technology, but not like other carriers are, especially AK!

So true! I was actually thinking we could pair DAL and HOU captains with AS F/O's so as to bring them into the 20th century.

Latest resources

Back