Airtran Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
USC*** said:
This will start some controversy but in my opinion, 135/91 PIC is more difficult that 121 PIC. Most 135/91 operators do their own preflight, flight planning, weather planning, fuel planning, greet and make the passenger comfortable, load the bags, etc.

When I flew with retired 121 guys at Citation Shares, they claimed the work at Citation Shares was 10 times harder than any airline job they ever had. They said, the FO did a walk around, but for the most part, maintenance does the preflights. Dispatchers do the flight/fuel planning and give the pilots the weather. The pilot only has to review it all to double check the dispatcher. At citation shares we didn't have someone double checking our work. Plus you may do all the flight planning for the day, and then all of a sudden dispatch calls and the entire itinerary for the day can change, and now you have to do it over. I'm not saying flying a citation should qualify me for Airtran, but those guys who have 2000 hours of part 135 PIC and are now FO's for some regional or other gig, should be eligible for Airtran.

But when all is said and done, I can disagree, but Airtran can still do what they want.

To further expand on that, 135 is in my opinion much harder than 91, assuming you know and follow the ops specs. We recently stopped 135, and it is WAY easier.

I have a few buds there, and they say the 121 requirement is in stone.

mcjohn said:
Could someone explain this phrase "Barbi Jet" and how it originated? I guess I haven't spent enough time on FI to figure this one out.

Several years ago, I helped put together a toy for my neice, it was a Barbi Jet. It looks a lot like an Avro...I always thought the Avro was called a Barbi jet because of that...maybe, maybe not.

I think the argument is that a PIC for 121 deals with different challenges than a captain flying a lear with 3 people in the back, and those challenges parallel those working at Airtran. For instance, if you divert you can go to tons of nearby airports and let the pax walk around the FBO. A divert with an airline takes a lot more coordination and you are under different constraints.

I dont have a problem with the PIC thing since pretty much all majors require it. The 121 part is debatable, but I think they just want someone who is familiar with 121 infrastructure, since most airlines are pretty much all alike. Anyway if you are an FO in the 747 why do you want to work for Airtran?

Come on guys, 500 hours 121 PIC time is a requirement. Is it competitive? I doubt it. I would think it stops a lot of resumes coming in from people they don't want to hire.

If your 135/91 PIC time is so valuable to you, go put your resume with a company that isn't stupid enough to ignore your great qualifications.

Airlines are going to hire who they want to. That's their right.

The 717 is the ultimate RJ!

Barbi jet rates

Yeah, what are those "barbi jet" rates they're gettin paid over there- its like chq's contract, right? How about some one post barbi jet pay and 717 pay to compare.

Latest resources

Back