SQUIB
AirTran Jet Evacuated at Boston's Logan Airport After Engine Catches Fire
The Associated Press
Published: Oct 1, 2003

* Today's Mortgage Rates
* Online Mortgage Calculators
* Free Online Pre-approval
* Apply Online

BOSTON (AP) - An AirTran Airways plane was evacuated at Logan International Airport on Wednesday after an engine caught fire as the plane was taxiing to the runway.

About 31 people on board got out of the plane on emergency chutes, according to Phil Orlandella, spokesman for the Massachusetts Port Authority, which operates Logan. AirTran Flight 771 was headed to Philadelphia.

One male passenger complaining of back pain was taken to a hospital, Orlandella said.

AirTran spokesman Tad Hutcheson said mechanics believe that residual fuel ignited when the engine started, an occurence he said was "not uncommon."

The passengers are being rerouted on a US Airways flight, he said.

AP-ES-10-01-03 0959EDT

The last thing this airline needs.

Kind of like when the Delta passengers decided they knew more than the crew when they initiated their own evacuation due to tailpipe torching.

Sounds like this was a similar situation--tailpipe torching. I'm pretty sure this company can survive this incident. They seem to be surviving everything that you and your Delta brethren are throwing at them. :rolleyes:

I have to say that I am impressed by the responsible coverage I have seen of this so far . . . . they are treating it like the near non-event that it is.

If they are treating us like everyone else, I guess we finally have arrived.

As a side note, the Rolls BR715 engine that is on the 717 puts out a fine mist of oil from a breather vent which is occaisionally mistaken by pilots of aircraft in line behind us as being smoke- due to the location of the vent and the illumination of the logo light.

I'm not suggesting that this had anything to do with the evacuation . . . . but it does have a lot to do with those "Uh, tower, you might tell that Citrus that he's got a lot of smoke coming from that left engine" radio calls.

trainerjet

Dude,

I ment no harm with my comment. I am amazed at how confrontational people are on these forums.

Medeco

And nobody reported the engine fire AA had last week at DFW.....
Airplane was not evacuated and passengers were reloaded onto a different plane

Airtran will do just fine. I fly Delta and I fly Airtran, a lot . I can tell you that from a safety standpoint I will take Airtran anyday. The FA's are very much on the ball. On numerious DAL flights I have seen many, many cabin violations, it is a good thing the front end doesn't know as it is something you cannot control.

Geez

Again, this was not a bash on Airtran just an info post.

I too, have flown on both and cant say that I have seen what your speaking of.

I will say that company moral is much higher at Airtran, and it shows in the people.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back