• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran CEO takes a crack at the Republic/Midwest Deal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
People have left YX already...they know the difference between a E170 and a 717 w/ 88 seats..........only Republic seems to be confused about it.

I think you meant 99 seats with the majority being "saver seats", which is typical economy class for the 717. 20 Signature seats is only about one more row more from a typical NW D9S (similar aircraft size) first class cabin too. So yeah, those same people who were flying on 88 seaters still fly YX, even with a conventional configuration. They do have a loyal following, especially since fares are competitive.

I think you meant 99 seats with the majority being "saver seats", which is typical economy class for the 717. 20 Signature seats is only about one more row more from a typical NW D9S (similar aircraft size) first class cabin too. So yeah, those same people who were flying on 88 seaters still fly YX, even with a conventional configuration. They do have a loyal following, especially since fares are competitive.
Take a look any day at the YX ticket counter and ConcourseD and then Airtran Ticket counter and Concourse C.....Where are the most pax?

I'm there 2 times a week, and can say that loyalty to YX is all but gone, and Airtran seems to be catching peoples eyes.

The hometown charm started fading with Skywest showing up.

In a recession, perceived value is everything. And for getting someone from point A to point B reliably, Airtran is perceived as a better value as we promote being a low fare airline. People don't care about extras anymore (even though Airtran offers XM, Internet, and a full size airplane on every flight).

What makes a full size aircraft more enjoyable or better choice? I personally find flying on an E170/175 much more enjoyable than either a 737 or an airbus 319/320. Lack of middle row is more than enough to spark my interest in riding them. But then again I'm sure some people enjoy cattle class on the 737 and 717 with an overly large individual on either side of you.

AirTran has an absolutely great product, no doubt. I just can't believe those economy seats are so uncomfortable and hard though. I wish all the mke carriers luck. It sucks that all the markets may become oversaturated with flights. It truly is a dog eat dog business.

AirTran has an absolutely great product, no doubt. I just can't believe those economy seats are so uncomfortable and hard though.

The company has started replacing those coach seats. It is an on going program of cabin refurbishment.

Latest resources

Back