Airspeed Restrictions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rubicon789 said:
:laugh: Citations don't do 290... unless it's a 7... But for real, I say desend with the speed, don't slow down. Get the 250 at the crossing restriction and no sooner. Save the time, go fast.

Sure they do. Citation X = M.92

AWACoff said:
I have a similiar question. We had a restriction of cross XYZ at 10000 and 250. My FO and I got too busy talkin' and not enough flying. I caught the missed descent late and he headed down like a baron full of doctors. We changed frequencies and the new controller gave us "descend to 6000 and turn right to 180". My understanding is that the crossing restriction has been cancelled due to a new clearance without a restatement of the the old restriction. My FO disagreed. The AIM seems to agree with me. Who's right?

If you were given a heading, then you cant cross a fix.

But even if you stayed on course, the restriction would have to be restated.

Hold West said:
If I want you to defy the laws of physics, I'll say that too: "Descend now maintain 11,000, expedite your descent, reduce speed to 250K in the next 20 miles". :eek:

Now that's funny... I told a controller a while ago that I could give him the altitude he was asking for by pressing the "wing fall off" button, but that could give us some problems with complying with the altitude he wanted me to maintain. :D

Last edited:
AWACoff said:
I have a similiar question. We had a restriction of cross XYZ at 10000 and 250. My FO and I got too busy talkin' and not enough flying. I caught the missed descent late and he headed down like a baron full of doctors. We changed frequencies and the new controller gave us "descend to 6000 and turn right to 180". My understanding is that the crossing restriction has been cancelled due to a new clearance without a restatement of the the old restriction. My FO disagreed. The AIM seems to agree with me. Who's right?

You're right. Each succeeding clearance cancels the last. If an amended clearance does not include the crossing restrictions, they are canceled.

wheelsup said:
"Roger, hold at XXX as published" would be the response

For my mistakes I generally use coordination with the receiving controller to miss an altitude restriction.

For your mistakes I'd probably use "make a left 180 degree turn, proceed inbound when established at 210 kts".

With regards to Airspeed Restrictions and Crossing Restrictions some aircraft are better than ohters at acheiving these results. I used to think that the the B737 and B757 were the worst at slowing while still coming down. The A321, however, now takes the cake.

So Cal approach to A321 on the Civet.5 arrival, "cross 30 out at 10 and 250", after being held high for crossing traffic. The reply, "Hey, if you shot us with a missle, the wreckage wouldn't make 30 out at 10".

Even though ATC is no longer allowed to ride our jumpseat, I would like them to try to fly some of the cleareances they give us in the simulator.

If your a commuter pilot....it's 290 until the other guy starts to move in there seat. I heard of a pilot once getting a speeding ticket for doing 260 knots below 10,000.......nothing more embarassing then being pulled over in your nice, new, shiny jet.

rubicon789 said:
:laugh: Citations don't do 290... unless it's a 7... But for real, I say desend with the speed, don't slow down. Get the 250 at the crossing restriction and no sooner. Save the time, go fast.

Encore, Excel, III, VI, VII, Soveriegn, X will all go 290.

Latest resources

Back