• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airnet mins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
upgrade has been 15-18 months recently. however, that was due to the hiring spree we went on 2 years ago. hiring is now going to be reduced, and that will slowly bring the upgrade time back to about 12-15 months.

I'm 19 months and counting, although one bid went junior to me about a month ago. I hope to upgrade in the next couple of months.

As an SIC you attend the same initial training program as the PIC qualified pilots. Upon successful completion of your checkride you are a full time employee with the same benefits and priveleges as any other pilot. Your salary is about 70% that of a prop PIC. When I went through training (June 2005) I took a full 135.293/297 checkride and received a PIC letter. An SIC I flew with at the end of 2005 had only received an SIC letter so I'm not sure exactly where that stands now. Also, I was assigned a seniority number at the completion of my checkride. I've not heard any change to that policy but I believe it was under review at one point in late 2005 or early 2006.

As far as a run goes they were quite flexible with me. All plots are qualified on the Baron only until their PIC assignment requires training on the Caravan or Navajo. As an SIC you are limited to serving on the Baron. There are "preferred" runs that are high time and get you through the program quickly. If you take a five day run you will be paid accordingly. I flew out of MEM on the run that was 4 days in the Baron and one night in the Caravan. Obviously I onlw flew the Baron nights but a mixed A/C run is an option if it has enough Baron time over the course of the week. My initial PIC assignment was out of AGC (Pittsburgh) ona 4 day Baron run (since closed) getting about 30 hours per week. I flew it for about 2 1/2 months and only had a couple of weeks without an SIC. I currently fly a 4 day Baron run getting about half that flight time and would be SHOCKED if an SIC were allowed to join me.

With respect to logging the flight time I logged all of the time as PIC except for those legs flown by the manifest PIC. As it was explained to me in training a pilot with appropriate category and class ratings for the aircraft flown may log as PIC time that time during which they were the sole manipulator of the flight controls. The legs you fly you may log as PIC. Part 135 is not a factor since it does not address how one may log flight time. The manifest PIC logged the time as PIC since he was listed as PIC on the manifest. As a manifest crewmember on the legs flown by the PIC you may log the flight time just not as PIC. Clear as mud? It was to me, too.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah and by the time you make left seat in the Lear you've already had PIC experience in the 135 environment. Your judgement has been tested. You've made all the decisions regarding icing, deicing, TR's, delays, alternates, MEL, dealing with dispatch, fuel etc. That is valuable and in my opinion a very good idea before flying jet.

It also saves you rom having to wear a monkey suit for a couple of years. Unless of course you like to wear monkey suits and admire yourself in the mirror when no one is looking.

Latest resources

Back