AirLines vs. Frac

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

njacrew

I am currently flying as a FO for a major carrier in Asia. Having spent 5 years here and an upgrade are nowhere in sight, would any of you jump ship?
This company treat their pilots poorly, without any respect, and the management team constantly looking for a way to punish, discipline the pilot group, therefore, the moral are at a rock bottom low.
I will start with NJA on the 4th of Nov as a Excel FO. It appears that NJA is a fabulous place to be and I am looking forward to my class. I just want to confirmed that I have made the right choice or should I ride it out the rough times here till it improves.

FLY SAFE, FLY HAPPY
CHEERS

I find it interesting how many pilots are leaving, while many are trying to get to, the Asian carriers. It appears flying the 744 can't override working for a bad company. It also appears that 744 FO time doesn't mean much.

I also find it interesting how everyone wants to upgrade ASAP. If a pilot was hired by a major airline, such as American, they would be waiting 10+ years. Then again you are getting paid more as an FO at American. Don't get me wrong, I too would want to upgrade as fast as possible. Especially at my age. I just get a kick out of some of the threads I read here (I'm not talking about you NJA). Young pilots thinking they have the right to be the left seat just because they were hired before someone else.

So NJA, how come you were hired as an FO at NetJets? Aren't they hiring straight to the left seat in the Excel? I would think/hope that someone with your flight time would go straight to the left seat.

njacrew,

The frac way of flying is much better than typical, mundane airline flying. I think you will also enjoy the wide variety of brand-new jets you will fly - the Excel is an excellent aircraft. I have a number of friends who fly the Excel for NJA and they love it. It is a different world from airline flying.

Incidentally, there are a number of ex- 747-400 pilots at NJA - many from Atlas and Polar Air Cargo.

While you probably won't be flying between Hong Kong and Sydney that much for NJA (unless you get on the BBJ after 10-15 years), flying between Aspen and Miami in a Citation X won't be that bad. At least you have had that Asian experience in your career... NJA will be a great place to work.

CCDiscoB,

No, NJA isn't hiring into the left seat of anything except the Ultra......

NJACREW,

I have no idea how it is where you are working or what it is in life that you are looking for....I can tell you that I enjoy working for NJA and overall, I have a pretty good time. The pay is low but the next contract will undoubtedly improve that to some extent....to what extent, I don't know. The hotels are excellent, the crew food is geat, the "mini-benies" like hotel points and airline miles are neat, the planes are new and well-maintained. Management is decent to you if you work hard and are honest. They have high expectations in terms of your attitude and ability to work with and take care of the owners......Don't drink while on the road, remember that the people you fly at NJA are OWNERS not customers and that service is #1 at NJA....The company will help you do what it takes to provide that service but, for the most part they are VERY conservative when it comes to safety of flight.

You will enjoy it here, I'm pretty certain of that. And if our contract makes some of the needed improvements in compensation and a few tweaks in the scheduling and other peripheral issues, this is going to be a place that is hard to beat to work at.

Welcome aboard!

remember that the people you fly at NJA are OWNERS not customers and that service is #1 at NJA....

Actually, SAFETY is #1 at NJA, and service is a close 2nd. In effect, safety is the #1 service we provide to our owners.

Like abenaki said, "Welcome aboard!"

Toploader

CCDiscoB,
Don't get me wrong. I am not looking for a fast upgrade, just that 5 years at this Airlines will make you quite senior. This is really a bad place to work. You never bid for your schedule, upgrade are not based on seniority, pay by the flight time not block to block, most of the long haul flights are dispatched with 3 pilots, can you imagine that I have done 950 hours last year and that was " flight time", what would that equate to as block to block! Geez, we are all over the 1000 limit!
I am only looking for a pleasant, professional company to work and certainly i've found it in NetJets! I had a wonderful experience during my interview, of course ( Abenaki and Top Loader) I will give 110% as a member of NJA.

Cheers

Upgrades

I just get a kick out of some of the threads I read here (I'm not talking about you NJA). Young pilots thinking they have the right to be the left seat just because they were hired before someone else.

As long as a pilot young or old can pass the required training, pass the FAA and company checkrides, and responsibly act as a PIC, he/she DOES have the right to expect the left seat ahead of somebody that was hired later. It's called seniority. Would you rather upgrades go by who kisses the most butt?

I guess I'm referring to a kid out of an ab initio program with a fresh ATP getting hired, then looking at the left seat thinking that because he has an ATP he has "what it takes."

The same goes for me. As much as I would like to get hired into the left seat doesn’t mean I should. Just because I have a lot of time flying by myself doesn’t mean I have to the first clue about 121 ops or crew coordination.

ccdiscob

I am happy that your are comfortable with yourself and are going to wait for the upgrade until you are more comfortable. Dont be so quick to jump on the other guys who are upgrading quickly. If they arent ready and receive a bid, they will wash out through training. A bid is not a guaranteed captain position at NJA.
Also, just because someone has a ton of time in a 747 doesnt qualify them to fly captain in a corporate jet. I will concede that your ability to act as a captain will certainly translate althouth the flying will not. I do not have any "heavy" jet time but I do know that these corporate jets are considerably different than an airliner. Lastly, we at NJA do not have any sort of ab initio program. There will NEVER be some flight school wiz kid getting a job at NJA. Minimums, thankfully, are strictly adhered to at NJA.

Yeah, our mins are 2500TT, I don't see anyone just out of flight school getting hired here anytime soon. Anyone we hire is eligible for the left seat provided they have the seniority and can pass the training.

Latest resources

Back