Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airlines gunning to keep biz-jets out of some airspace?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LXJ31

dirka dirka jihad dirka
"Insisting that the government scrutinize its spending decisions and search for efficiencies with the same intensity as the airlines is common sense. Ensuring that airlines and their customers are not forced to overpay for services used by business jets and others, or to disproportionately fund federal responsibilities such as national defense and security, are matters of simple fairness — not quests for special treatment. Demanding measurable capacity improvements in return for a multibillion-dollar tax bill is good government in action. Not advocating dramatic improvements would be irresponsible.

The past four years have made clear that in the airline business every dollar matters. No aspect of the "transportation equation," including the role of the government and taxes, should be beyond scrutiny. Treasury Secretary John Snow opened the president's recent Economic Summit stating that "fundamental tax reform is a top priority" and noting that when we "lighten the burden of taxes and regulations, our economy begins to soar." The airlines agree. Insisting on tax fairness, government efficiency and getting expanded airport and airway capacity for the taxes we pay is not a bailout. It is vital to resuscitating an invaluable sector of our nation's economy and permitting the airlines to regain some badly needed altitude." -Air Transport Association President James May in Wednesday's multi-colored fishwrap.

They've already shut us out of DCA, want to limit arrivals at ORD and lets not even talk about Meigs. Santa Monica, open since the 1920's, is going to have a few houses on it before too long. You can write it down: they are going to try and limit or eliminate GA activity at large airports. A side effort will be decrying the "lack" of security at small airports forcing onerous and expensive requirements. This will all be done to "keep the 'Merican people safe and free."

I hope our friends in Congress can head this off.

The NBAA funded a study that showed that biz aviation actually pays for 104% of their airspace/system usage. I suppose some will argue that study, but if it holds up, it would be interesting to see how the government would react to it and the ATA's challenge.

Of course, if airlines could charge enough to cover their costs, some of them wouldn't be in the position that they are currently in.

Guitar Guy said:
Of course, if airlines could charge enough to cover their costs, some of them wouldn't be in the position that they are currently in.
You should change "if airlines could" to if airlines WOULD

I know that GA pays their fair share for usage, but to Joe Sixpack who only flies twice a year on discounted airfare that fact won't matter. They'd love to stick it to The Man and would vote accordingly. That crook in Chicago isn't leaving office until they take him out in a pine box. There wasn't much of a public outcry when they illegally cut up Meigs.

Yeah right, only the airlines pay taxes and only for them does "every dollar count". They've been whining about this for years even though most of their airspace/delay inefficiencies are self-inflicted.

Giving $$$ to the airlines is pouring it down a rat-hole.

Raskal said:
Man, if I had a dime for every time the ailines whined about something...
I'll bet that most airlines also wish they had a dime for each time they whined...

Looks like airline mgmt. trying to pass the buck for their fowlups causing the situation they are in now. I think GA/BizAv have enough friends on Capitol Hill to prevent that from happening.

Guitar Guy said:
I'll bet that most airlines also wish they had a dime for each time they whined...

AA DOES have a dime for every time they whined--it came out of MY pocket.

The ATA is the Ministry of Propaganda for the airlines. They are the hired guns of the airline CEO's. They finally brought the airline unions to their knees using Ch. 11(Sec. 363, sub sec. 1113) so now they turn their attention to the fracs--that's where their "premium" pax went.

Better get your hired guns(lawyers and lobbyists) up to speed.TC

I have a soft spot for AA. I worked there in the Flight Dept. (a technical position - not flying) from about 1996 until late 2000. I hope that you folks can pull through. The post 9/11 world is a very different climate for aviation and airlines.

Best wishes to you, AA717driver.

Latest resources

Back